The Game Currently

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
odds_on
odds_on
23:11 Thu 30 Mar 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Having been following the Funky forums recently, can someone tell me why the games struggling so bad? its such a good game, and used to have massive numbers for tournaments etc.
kilimanjaro
kilimanjaro
02:11 Sun 2 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Too many problems with java and players being unable to get into the game through half of the web browsers means we have lost loads of members ..added to the creator and owner having moved on ..to being unable to find games or opponents and meaningless tournaments with so few people in them....

Its not attracting any new members as its disappearing off the top of google listings......and if they do find it they can't get on to play.

Half a dozen arcade games going on these days if you are lucky and you can't find anyone to play reg, orig , power or carom.

Also made worse by the latest firefox updates for those(most people I mean ) who can't be bothered to find a way round it..quite right really.

sadly it is is now bleeding out after being in the death throes for months.

need I go on
buckjam
buckjam
21:34 Sun 2 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Other than that its going quite well
odds_on
odds_on
13:04 Mon 3 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
sounds pretty bad then! Anyone know why the owner has moved on without letting site go to someone with the time and interest to keep it going?
Was a great game
daviking
daviking
12:12 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
He hasnt moved on, you can talk to him on Facebook.

With the recent Firefox update, the game is safe for at least another year so no need to do anything
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
15:14 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Not everyone uses Facebook though, I know dest or seb doesn't as not added them so to them they can't talk to nick and has to hope nick logs in from time to time.
daviking
daviking
16:19 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Which he does. He owns the site, he doesnt have to log in to the public aspect to maintain it. Sorry but I couldnt understand that post so I am guessing thats what you meant.

Of course that fact spoils the childish ignorace of actual updates etc so seems almost taboo to mention here.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
16:45 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Yup he does log in which is good (2 month on admin account) as ensures people minds that he is still around and doing well.

At some point he was off 10-12 months and people feared for his safety. Only thing i was bugged about was that he left no post at that time just to ensure that he was safe.

He is on more now which is good but about updates, it's been years since the last major update so people wondered when next one would be as eventually Java will die as being phased out, Not now but maybe a few years and we need to be ready when the inevitible does happen
daviking
daviking
17:02 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
^^ See what I mean? They love the conspiracies these kids!

(Last update was January, timetable for Java phasing out very well documented, and site owner active on facebook so they all knew he was fine)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
17:43 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't have him as a friend on FB, tried to add twice but ignored my requests.

I said last "Major" update which was in 2014 after checking the forum which was enabling the security verification, still amost 3 years so not sure where you get info from.

http://www.funkysnooker.com/member/nick/findPostsByUser

and 2015 for Pool

http://www.funkypool.com/member/nick/findPostsByUser

about Java it will die eventually otherwise if it's that good then why have Opera, Chrome disbanded Java and Firefox doing this ESR thing?
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
17:45 Tue 4 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
and yes he posted on FB in January but that's just him on vacation and nothing relevant to the site.
kilimanjaro
kilimanjaro
02:04 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
The game is not safe lol .

I enjoy a little game or two late at night to chill but there is no one to play and/or no one will play me.

I am not sure how long I or many others will bother regardless of updates, browsers , java etc.

If there's no one to play..what can you do..........
odds_on
odds_on
11:53 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Daviking, i am not completely disagreeing with what you've said, but surely you'd agree the site is at a very low point- users wise. Surely Nick doesn't want that to happen?

Is he doing anything to stop this happening? I dont believe for one minute the game has become bad overnight!

If he isn't helping the game continue to improve and maintain a good following of users, surely the right thing to do is sell it?
daviking
daviking
13:23 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't have him as a friend on FB, tried to add twice but ignored my requests.

I said last "Major" update which was in 2014 after checking the forum which was enabling the security verification, still amost 3 years so not sure where you get info from.

http://www.funkysnooker.com/member/nick/findPostsByUser

and 2015 for Pool

http://www.funkypool.com/member/nick/findPostsByUser

about Java it will die eventually otherwise if it's that good then why have Opera, Chrome disbanded Java and Firefox doing this ESR thing?

LOL this is amazing!

Actual game updates exist you know, not kids forum fantasies, just paying attention when things change (the various code changes on 12th January for example - nothing at all to do with Facebook!)

As for java, please, just give it up and play the game. Nothing that hasnt been planned way ahead is happening.

All that is "wrong" with the site is people posting rubbish on the forums and putting people off.

Edited by forum moderator dgeneratio, at 11:03 Wed 05/04/17 (BST)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
13:42 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I never said it was a FB change, These are the last posts from Nick himself on Pool and Snooker so not sure where FB comes into it.

I see no post from January this year and normally big changes are posted for all to see

Edited at 11:02 Wed 05/04/17 (BST)
daviking
daviking
13:49 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Daviking, i am not completely disagreeing with what you've said, but surely you'd agree the site is at a very low point- users wise. Surely Nick doesn't want that to happen?

Is he doing anything to stop this happening? I dont believe for one minute the game has become bad overnight!

If he isn't helping the game continue to improve and maintain a good following of users, surely the right thing to do is sell it?

Why would you if it was you? The game will still be drawing enough to keep it running, and in its current form (meaning a browser based java applet) its lifetime is limited to early 2018, by which time Oracle expects everyone to have moved to Java Web Start, which it has been including in the JRE since Java 5.0 was released in 2005.

How much work/cost is involved in moving to Web Start I cannot guess, but since this was all known over 10 years ago and nothing happened, and given the lack of interest in these type of games outside of facebook, it is most likely just not worth it.

Put it in perspective - Funkysnooker has maybe 50 regular players at best? (assuming one or two games a week)

8 Ball Pool on facebook has just over 23 Million.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
13:52 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Also about playing i HATE Arcade, and LIKE Regular and Original as that's where i learned to play, I only come on to play League Games which i folded and to play friends which their availability differs from day to day.

Not coming on to play a game i dislike.
daviking
daviking
14:11 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I never said it was a FB change, These are the last posts from Nick himself on Pool and Snooker so not sure where FB comes into it.

I see no post from January this year and normally big changes are posted for all to see

For gods sake! You spoke about Nick posting in January on facebook when I was talking about the security updates on here! I even referred back to the forum to verify the date.

However, as we can all see, you are clearly just here to troll the forums so I will step back.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
14:33 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  

For gods sake! You spoke about Nick posting in January on facebook when I was talking about the security updates on here! I even referred back to the forum to verify the date.

However, as we can all see, you are clearly just here to troll the forums so I will step back.

I was on about Site posts not FB posts.

Everyone knows that Major "Game" Updates are posted on Funky so i checked here. Nick Holiday ensures us that he is well but it doesn't affect the game so it doesn't count.
daviking
daviking
15:10 Wed 5 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
The update was posted here, how else would it work?!? Bizarre!

Since I seem to have your attention, why was it again that you didn't troll this post? - http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/10448/java-solutions-from-march-2017
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

The Game Currently

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.