are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

(Renamed) Ranking system loses too many points

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:39 Fri 18 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
it doesnt seem right to me that someone with a 850+ rating loses so many damn points for defeat.. even to someone with a near 800 ratin.

its just crap.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:00 Fri 18 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
i have to admit that is really annoying....
nick
nick
Admin
03:12 Sat 19 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
So you want the games to be played for less points?

It's all proportional, if you lose less points, you will win less points.... so, at the end of the day it makes little difference. After all, it's the same system for all players.

Edited at 09:40 Sat 19/11/05 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:55 Sun 20 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
but its not proportional....

if you loose less points, you dont win less points..

basically.. some guy, ranked about 630.. an obvious PRO just starting again under a diff username, beat me, with a rank of near 900. I naturally lost an ungodly amount of points.. however if i had won, i wouldnt have even gained a full point, and they would have lost next to nothing.

this disproportional gain/loss continues up untill the 2 players have a near identical ranking. I think the ratio should be slashed a lot.
if a player of 850 loses to a player of 800, i dont think they should loose so many points.

I do beleive there should be a ratio of course. otherwise the good players would just prey on the crap ones, and get their ranks soaring.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:33 Thu 24 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
well im not that high but if i play below me then i lose loads of points
nick
nick
Admin
06:08 Sun 4 Dec 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
You raise 2 points, first that you lose too many points for winning.

From here http://www.funkysnooker.com/help.do?section=rankings
The comparative rule is that if a person is 100 points higher ranked than their opponent we expect them to win 75% (three quarters) of their games.

Therefore if you win 3/4 of the matches against this opponent your score will not change. If you perform better or worse than this then your score will change to reflect this.

Therefore the actual magnitude of points you win and lose are proportional to each other.

Second point is that a new user was rated incorrectly. Also from the above link:

New user's are given a trial period of 100 games. During this period they are called newbies, and these 100 games allow the user to approach their correct ranking.

However as we are unsure of their correct ranking during this period we reduce the opponent's gain or loss in score.

Sorry, about the time it took for me to get back to you.

EDIT: to update invalid old link

Edited by forum moderator nick, at 16:03 Mon 25/08/08 (BST)
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

(Renamed) Ranking system loses too many points

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.