Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

nick
nick
Admin
06:35 Fri 25 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
I received an interesting question through contact us:

i played and potted a pink but also potted the black in the same shot. the black spot was covered so it got replaced onto the pink spot and the pink got placed on the free blue spot.

is this correct or should the pink have been replaced on its own spot and the black on the blue spot?

Any snooker buffs out there can clear this up? The rules regarding this are open to interpretation.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/about_the_rules.htm

Take a look at 7(e) in rules regarding spotting colours:

7. Spotting Colours
Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted under Section 3 Rule 3(f).
(a) A player shall not be held responsible for any mistake by the referee in failing to spot correctly any ball.
(b) If a colour is spotted in error after being potted in ascending order as per Section 3 Rule 3(f)(iii), it shall be removed from the table without penalty when the error is discovered and play shall continue.
(c) If a stroke is made with a ball or balls not correctly spotted, they will be considered to be correctly spotted for subsequent strokes. Any colour incorrectly missing from the table will be spotted:
(i) without penalty when discovered if missing due to previous oversight,
(ii) subject to penalty if the striker player before the referee was able to effect the spotting.
(d) If a colour has to be spotted and its own spot is occupied, it shall be placed on the highest value spot available.
(e) If there is more than one colour to be spotted and their own spots are occupied, the highest value ball shall take precedence in order of spotting.
(f) If all spots are occupied, the colour shall be placed as near its own spot as possible, between that spot and the nearest part of the top cushion.
(g) In the case of Pink and Black, if all spots are occupied and there is no available space between the relevant spot and the nearest part of the top cushion, the colour shall be placed as near to its own spot as possible on the centre line of the table below the spot.
(h) In all cases, the colour when spotted must not be touching another ball.
(i) A colour, to be properly spotted, must be placed by hand on the spot designated in these Rules.

Programmatically we spot the balls in the order highest value to lowest value. However, the way suggested above seems nicer (as only 1 ball is incorrectly placed).

Anyone certain on what should happen?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:41 Fri 25 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
I think you got it right mate, regardless of nominated ball i've only ever seen high balls take precedence, in other words to use a crap analogy, the black is the Don in the game of Snooker, and nobody messes with the Don ;)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:16 Fri 25 Nov 05 (GMT)  [Link]  
yea helitrope ur right the black technically is the "DON" in snooker and nick is right the black does take precedence over the other balls. i no this cos i play snooker in real life.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Spotting Colours when own spot occupied

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.