Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 189
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:05 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
whocares8x8 said:
Just one of the reasons why this will probably not happen. Every player is beatable. 900's lose to 700's more often than people might think.
Since the point of this is to add prestige to tournaments, creating tournaments where no pro or above can enter is counterproductive.
there is currently restrictions on who can enter tournaments now anyway so what difference does it make to add a few more?

I actually completely agree with him on this one. If you are a low ranked player now, you are less likely to enter touraments if higher ranked players are also in. I think it would actually increase numbers joining if they knew they had a better chance of winning or at least having a competitive match.
Low ranked player said to me in a tournament yesterday "how can i win when you clear from the break". Least he would have better chance of winning
You could grade the tourapoint wins based on the level of the tournament.
Im sure it is possible to have multiple tournaments running at the same time so there is no need to lose any tournaments from the schedule.
It is foolproof from resetters now.
cue_power
cue_power
17:49 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
I just dont see tournaments having a rank bracket. It would ruin the site. To think that you can beat some of the best players to earn a tournament win can be equaled by a lower ranked player beating other lower ranked players.

For me now (excluding power snooker) rank doesnt get my blood pumping, so I could easily lose my rank points, to then play lower ranked players making the tournament easier. Im sure lots of people will consider this, although dont think for one second I am considering it myself .

One thing you could look at Nick, if its possible is that I somehow see the tournapoints being slightly unfair on the lower ranked players with less ability. My reason is, if destiny who is one of the best players on the game were to entre a tournament and won, he would recieve the same amount of tournapoints as if one of the underdogs were to win the tournament. (I think thats accurate)

So maybe, if the system could calculate the entrants rank, and use the edge modification to then vary the amount of points for the potential winner.

So a 900+ player such as destiny would win - 700 points
then a player such as daraghhh who is a 700/800 ranked player would say win, 1100.

This would then even the points up which some users have complained about.

Hope that makes sense.
i_am_god
i_am_god
17:58 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
it works its great. makes tournaments more difficult and more worthwhile
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:26 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
But Derry, thats like suggesting poker players should win more/less based on how good they are...

If the tournaments were restricted based on rank then you could view how many tournaments they have won compared to the tournapoints they have.

A virtuoso could have 1000 points from 2 tournament wins and an adept player could have 500 points from 10 tournament wins. That would be a clear indication as to the quality of the tournament wins they have
g_k
g_k
18:41 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Would this not work just as well if tournaments were only played for "Tournapoints" and not "Ordinary" Rank ?

Then people who enter tournys have a ranking system, those who don't have a ranking system and those who enter both are able to keep the two seperate. This still gives people the opportunity to attain targets, which appears to be desired.

But if 1 rank could get 1000 from 2 and another rank has to win 10 to attain the same points it strikes me as tournaments would have less value, rather than more and it they would entirely depend on the entrants rank, which is what is meant to be the point of changing the current system.

Maybe I'm wrong and am just over simplifying things.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
19:38 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
g_echo_l said:
there is currently restrictions on who can enter tournaments now anyway so what difference does it make to add a few more?

There is currently a restriction on newbies so that fake newbies are eliminated. This is a good thing for everyone involved (except the fake newbies of course). It's a whole new step to restrict people from entering purely based on their skill level.

Since the idea is to raise the prestige of tournaments, creating tournaments with a rank restriction serves the opposite. How would such a tournament be prestigious?
And seriously, any player is beatable in a single frame. as i said before 900's are beaten by 700's more often than you think.
cue_power
cue_power
19:40 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Also, I was just thinking, I have entered two Tournapoints now, and I have lost in the semis in both to Kaison and Mooney.

I have recieved 53 points for two semi-final finishes. Which in my eyes is puny. I understand that the winner is deserving on the 70% and the runner up getting 20% but I feel the 5% is not so good for both losers.

My question -
Can we create a third place play off between the two losing semi-finalists.
It could be optional, say if both of the players accept or, it could be so that the winner of theplay-off earns 7.5% and the loser takes away 2.5%.
But idealy it would be for the entire 10%.

Im not just saying this because I have lost the last two semi-finals, but I have lost to the overall winner. I have been unlucky enough to draw the best remaining player each time, so I feel a little hard done by with by 53 points for two semi-finals!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:42 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
How does the "daily reduction" on the rankings work is it one point taken away for any with a ranking over 757?
Doesn't really explian that well in the help section.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
19:48 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
The lower your rank is, the less gets taken away each day. 1 point is the maximum that is deducted.
nick
nick
Admin
19:49 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
It is deliberately small for the semi-final, from that point onward each win basically quadruples your points.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:50 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
ive always liked the idea of a 3rd/4th playoff
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
19:55 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
maybe it could work like this then...

Winner - 70%
Runner Up - 15%
3rd Place - 10%
4th Place - 5%

or if it is too low then...

Winner - 60%
Runner Up - 20%
3rd Place - 15%
4th Place - 5%
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:03 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Winner - 75%
Runner Up - 12.5%
3rd Place - 7.5%
4th Place - 5%
cue_power
cue_power
20:17 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
maybe it could work like this then...

Winner - 60%
Runner Up - 20%
3rd Place - 15%
4th Place - 5%

That would be the ideal break-down.

I have just been looking at tournaments such as golf, tennis and poker prize money break downs and they all sort of follow this pattern -

Winner - 59.5%
Runner up - 22.5%
3rd place - 12.5%
4th place - 5.5%

And some cases the winner only just recieves over half, 50.7% - 53%

This could be used or there could be a third place play-off for the entire 18%.

I dont mind the current rewards system, I just feel this needs to be looked into and thought about now, rather than changing it down the line so its then harder for users to catch the leaders.
mosconi
mosconi
20:23 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Should be...

winner - 60%
runner up - 20%
semis - 10%
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:11 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
whocares8x8 said:
g_echo_l said:

There is currently a restriction on newbies so that fake newbies are eliminated. This is a good thing for everyone involved (except the fake newbies of course). It's a whole new step to restrict people from entering purely based on their skill level.

Since the idea is to raise the prestige of tournaments, creating tournaments with a rank restriction serves the opposite. How would such a tournament be prestigious?
And seriously, any player is beatable in a single frame. as i said before 900's are beaten by 700's more often than you think.
Im not suggesting stopping low rank players joining any tournaments. Just stopping the high ranks entering low rank tournaments with the view that more lower ranked players would join tournaments and get more enjoyment than shying away from tournaments altogether since they have a greater chance of being beaten.
There is still the "prestige" of winning a big tournament if they want to try that but at least they would be able to win a tournament yet the tournapoints would be proportionately lower.

Back to the poker analogy, catering for all experience levels. The better you are the more chance you have of winning, yet there is still low stake games for small money available or the high stakes games.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
22:19 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
haha but everybody, including good players, are allowed to join low stakes poker games!

it will be interesting to see whether more or fewer players are entering tournaments than before. nick will be able to tell within a few weeks. im guessing there are a number of players now trying to get rid of newbie tag to play in tourneys.
i havent noticed a difference in player numbers in most tourneys (except random, where more people have to get rid of newbie status).

Edited at 20:24 Wed 24/11/10 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:36 Wed 24 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hoped you wouldnt pick up on that

There are low stakes games (online) that dont allow experienced players to join though
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
00:04 Thu 25 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
what?? i've played a fair amount of poker myself and have never come across anything like this (but that's beside the point anyway )
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:34 Thu 25 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
The general idea behind my point is to encourage the less courageous players to join tournaments that would be more fitting to their ability. They dont gain as much tournapoints but still get to take part in tournaments which are now the "focal point" of the site. Granted I have no proof that there is less joining tournaments now than there was when they were unranked in comparison to being all ranked now but I imagine it must have made some difference due to the phenomenal power a few petty rank points has on peoples mindset

Yes Paddy Power poker has rooms that can only be entered by unexperienced players. Not sure what exactly qualifies you for that cuz I never was allowed into one.
Pages: 189
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

New Tournament Competition, Big Update!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.