Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Design a snooker cue competition (discussion thread)

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
nick
nick
Admin
16:30 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Design a pool cue competition - win a premium account!

We'd like to invite all budding graphic designers to enter this design a cue competition.

The winner will not only get one year's premium account, they (and of course all fellow premium subscribers) will also be able to use their snooker cue within the game.

Please do not post submissions in this thread. Instead please post at:
http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/8369/design-a-snooker-cue-competition-win-a-premium-account-submission-thread

Discuss the competition here!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:32 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
what is TBD?
nick
nick
Admin
16:33 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
To be defined, I have defined it now.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:34 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
What do we design it on?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:30 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
nick said:

- By entering the competition, you give all rights to the graphic to funky pool and funky snooker. These rights include use, modify, and re-sell without time limitations. However, we will not claim any rights to entries that do not win.

Is that basically saying, that all the work we do, then FP/FS will take all Credit?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:30 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Is it a maximum of 5 submissions on snooker and pool, or can we do 5 on snooker and another 5 on pool?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:33 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
0121d01 said:
nick said:

- By entering the competition, you give all rights to the graphic to funky pool and funky snooker. These rights include use, modify, and re-sell without time limitations. However, we will not claim any rights to entries that do not win.

Is that basically saying, that all the work we do, then FP/FS will take all Credit?

yes, but the reward is free Premium for a year and the satisfaction of knowing other people are using your cue. I'd say that's more than worth 10 minutes work.
nick
nick
Admin
17:51 Tue 23 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cmurphy said:
Is it a maximum of 5 submissions on snooker and pool, or can we do 5 on snooker and another 5 on pool?

Yes competitions are separate. You can duplicate a cue across both competitions to increase your chances, but we are not going to choose the same graphic as winner for both competitions on both sites.

0121d01 said:
nick said:

We take any financial credit arising from it, yes. In reality the financial credit from an additional cue is at most a few pence per subscription. However, for sake of artistic credit the winner is of course welcome to inform people that they made it!
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
00:35 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
by the way nick it says pool in your top post.
cue_power
cue_power
01:00 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Sod this...

What can I use instead of paint.

My cue looks amazing except for the part being when it gradually gets wider...I cant adjust it without it looking bad.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:51 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
theres ...

free software

gimp
paint (default with computer)
paint.NET

Paying Software

Photoshop
Fireworks

not sure of any others but free one what can handle layers would be nice
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:37 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Nick could you clarify what would constitute as 'copyrighted'. More specifically were I to submit a design which is based on a real life cue (i.e. my cue as pictured in http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/7499/premium-general-chat/10 ) would that infringe copyright?

Not that it would win anyway as it is most certainly not flashy enough for most people but I would like to know anyway
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:05 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
anything that is not made by you, but you use as your own is an infringement of copyright, with the exception of the use of specifically noted royalty free images.

I.e, dont be nicking pictures of google and chopping them up.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:26 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
gixxerlover1 said:
anything that is not made by you, but you use as your own is an infringement of copyright, with the exception of the use of specifically noted royalty free images.

I.e, dont be nicking pictures of google and chopping them up.

Obviously, I don't mean to use a googled picture of the actual cue (like the photo I mentioned) but to use the same design elements so that it looks as close to the real thing as possible.

(I'm assuming of course that I have the time (and skill) to put the effort in to make it look as realistic as possible - knowing me it would end up looking completely different but I might get lucky)
jack_pot
jack_pot
15:36 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
If you recreate the photo of the cue from scratch then yes that is perfectly fine, as far as I am aware.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:47 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
If you recreate the photo of the cue from scratch then yes that is perfectly fine, as far as I am aware.

That's what I would have thought, but I wanted to check with Nick first before I started (being very busy at the moment).

As I said, it is an unlikely candidate for being a winner but if the design is done then there may be the possibility of it being used in the future, which is what I've wanted since the custom cues came out (I'm far too old and traditionalist to use the flashy custom cues we have at the moment)
nick
nick
Admin
16:22 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
buddytobud said:
Nick could you clarify what would constitute as 'copyrighted'. More specifically were I to submit a design which is based on a real life cue (i.e. my cue as pictured in http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/7499/premium-general-chat/10 ) would that infringe copyright?

Not that it would win anyway as it is most certainly not flashy enough for most people but I would like to know anyway

Yep, that's absolutely fine. So long as the graphic is created by you and acceptable for us to use on the site, it is eligible.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:32 Wed 24 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Thanks Nick, I will give it a go then when I can find the time. I was worried more in case it was used and Peradon came knocking on your door saying 'Oi that looks like one of our cues, give us some dosh!" though as I say it will probably end up unrecognisable from the original knowing me.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:45 Thu 25 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Aww. If only I was not a moderator
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:05 Thu 25 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
you can still enter jun

maybe mods could be paid in jelly beans
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Design a snooker cue competition (discussion thread)

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.