Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Building a new PC

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

iamtheworst
iamtheworst
23:43 Thu 17 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Alright, so I'm looking to build a new PC as my laptop is on its last legs. Its about 6 years old, screen broken so that everything on the right side is blurry with a faulty battery that refuses to be fixed. So anyway, I want to build a PC capable of running video games on mid to high settings; screen, sound etc.

I've got a list of components in mind from browsing Google but I'm a complete novice with this.and I was wondering if anybody would tell me how they'd work together, whether they'd be good enough for what I'm wanting and to possibly recommend some alternatives.

Okay, so the list of products:
CiT Vantage Type-R Gaming Case with HD Audio, 4 Fans, Card Reader and No PSU.
AMD Bulldozer FX-6 Six Core 6100 Black Edition 3.40Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, Up to 16GB DDR3, USB 3.0, uATX)
Simm DDR3 PC1600 8GB CL9 Corsair 1,5V
MSI R6770-MD1GD5 VIDEO CARD
SeagateBarracuda 7200.12 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6 Gb/s 7200rpm - OEM

I also plan to purchase a 22" Full HD Monitor.

What am I missing? Would I be able to swap something out for something else? I think everything there, with the few websites I found, comes to about £400, including the Monitor. Like I said, I'm a complete novice and any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Pretty sure I'm missing a power supply and any disc drives...

Edited at 20:56 Thu 17/05/12 (BST)
jack_pot
jack_pot
00:31 Fri 18 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I'd get a better case if I were you. If you're from the UK buy from scan.co.uk or overclockers.

If it's for gaming, make sure you get some sort of cooling system for your CPU. I use a water cooler but if you don't want to spend much money then you should buy a heatsink cooler.
You'll need a disc drive yeh, but make sure it's compatible with your motherboard. The motherboard you have there only has SATA ports, so make sure your disc drive is SATA not IDE.

For a power supply I recommend Antec.

Heatsink cooler:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am

PSU:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-psu-corsair-builder-series-cmpsu-430cxv2uk-80-eff-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23

Also, without stating the obvious too much, you're going to need a keyboard & mouse if you don't already have one. Again if you're using it for gaming, I'd recommend this Razer mouse:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/razer-abyssus-mirror-ltd-edition-gaming-mouse-black-usb-3500dpi

And a mechanical keyboard.
iamtheworst
iamtheworst
00:41 Fri 18 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Thanks for the response . Yeah, in my excitement to get everything else sorted, I almost forgot about the mouse and keyboard. A rookie mistake lol! Do you have any recommendations on disc drives/cases? How simple would a PC be to put together? Does everything have its own slot that only it will fit in?
jack_pot
jack_pot
00:51 Fri 18 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Do a lot of research and reading before building it, and take as much time as you need. Don't force anything into any slots. If it doesn't fit straight in then chances are it's not meant to be there.
All of the parts will come with instructions though, so just read them carefully and you'll be fine. You might also want to look at tutorials on Youtube while you build it.

Disc drive doesn't really matter. Just get something cheap (£15-20), as long as it's SATA. The only difference with them will be speed, so obviously if you want to read/write discs super fast then go for a more expensive disc drive.

For a case, it depends on your budget really. You want one with good air flow, enough fans, and one that makes it easy for building. Coolermaster usually do very good cases, so something like this would be quite good for you:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-elite-430-all-black-mid-tower-case-with-side-window-120mm-front-led-blue-fan-and-120mm-
iamtheworst
iamtheworst
01:51 Fri 18 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Alright so I've taken your advice, done a little research and also had a look around for a good price.

Coolermaster Elite 430 Black Mid Tower Computer Case Front/Rear 120mm fans and Side Window No PSU.
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, Up to 16GB DDR3, USB 3.0, uATX)
Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430W Power Supply (PSU)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler for All Intel/AMD CPU's
AMD Bulldozer FX-6 Six Core 6100 Black Edition 3.40Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor
Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop
SeagateBarracuda 7200.12 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6 Gb/s 7200rpm - OEM
Sony AD-7261S-0B SATA DVW Writer Internal with Lightscribe
Razer Abyssus Mirror, Ltd Edition Gaming Mouse
Acer V223HQVb 22" Full HD LCD Monitor

And for the keyboard I'm either thinking cheap:
BCL Slimline Black Gaming Keyboard with Interchangeable WASD and Cursor Keys. Water Drain at about £5.50

Or pay a little bit more for:
Cyborg V.7 Gaming Keyboard USB for about £50.

Either way, with everything included its gonna be over £500. The majority of all that is either through Amazon or scan.co.uk with the monitor from Novatech.
samj147
samj147
02:14 Fri 18 May 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I'd take Jackpot's advice. Sounds like he knows his stuff

If you're looking for it to be good for gaming the components you listed sounded similar to my PC and it runs most games no problem at good GFX settings. Also, Razer are a great choice for a mouse. Not sure about their keyboards as I haven't tested them but I have a cheapish Razer Deathadder 3.5G and it works like a charm.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Building a new PC

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.