Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:30 Fri 3 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
Is it beneficial to win a lag?

Discuss

Edited by forum moderator mrmagic, at 15:01 Sat 04/07/15 (BST)
vixen_xox
vixen_xox
17:48 Fri 3 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
Some people believe it's beneficial to win it, some to lose it. Personally I like to attempt a winning lag because it's pretty much a guaranteed point and people who are capable can usually get a run of atleast 2 or 3 or even 5 from the break off. Some people like to purposely foul lag because they like to have the last chance if their opponent hits 5 or more points. Regardless of a players ability they still have as much chance of beating their opponent after losing the lag as they do winning it, despite the psychology of going first or last.

However if an opponent hits a good lag and it's close to the cushion and I don't feel i'll beat it I probably wouldn't put in as much effort since the chances of the ball staying right against the cushion (which is what it would usually take to beat a good lag) are pretty low.

Now and then I foul lag by accident ie; under or over hitting. With a touchpad it's hard sometimes to maintain pace consistency.

I don't think people should take offense at somebody foul lagging because it's not always on purpose and it's really their prerogative. I've seen good carom players playing one another where one purposely foul lags and still loses simply because the other player scored a 5 run from the break off that the foul lagger couldn't beat. No result is a given from the lag, it depends on the skill and play of both opponents.

My opinion anyway
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:56 Fri 3 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
I like your in depth answer,

as a moderator I think you should try to win the lag anyway as it shows you play the game how it should be played from a ''this is how to play carom'' perspective. so those trying to learn the game will benefit from you in your role.

i now prefer to go second, i find it more beneficial to chase an opponent than to be chased sheerly from a mental point of view.

however i hate to lose a lag on purpose, it just feels somewhat disappointing to not play the game how it should be played.

i win more from going second especially aginst good opposition also. when you get a lead on a good player they thrive from that final opportunity
vixen_xox
vixen_xox
18:07 Fri 3 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
Perhaps, but moderators are players too just like everybody else, and while I certainly wouldn't support or promote bad sportsmanship I don't feel we should be excluded from playing tactically just because of moderator status.
As I said, personally I prefer to win the lag, but if somebody else had a different view (as like you said, since going second you seem to win more) then that's their prerogative. It doesn't really give much of an edge, it's down to personal opinion, and probably a lot of psychology. If somebody believes they have more chance of winning from going second then they will play better, and vice versa for first. And some people just don't care either way. It's much like being on the white/yellow some people (myself included) don't feel they play as well on the yellow as they would if they were on the white, but that's a random thing (during tournaments anyway).
cortez
cortez
00:53 Sun 5 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
If you can't score a point from the break off I see no point trying to win the lag...seems pointless...I don't particularly like breaking off in carom so I lose it on purpose most of the time lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:53 Sun 5 Jul 15 (BST)  [Link]  
this is what i am talking about.

good players love going second.

i now much prefer to go second. its just great knowing you have the last go and if you hit the high number, you win.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

carom. To lag or not to lag?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.