Explain please.

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
daviking
daviking
18:30 Thu 28 Apr 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Yep thats practice only though but managed 30 mins in Orig last night. If i play a friend, i have lasted 3 hours in friendlies. If i play in a tournament then i try and stay for the duration of the tournament.

3 hours? Seriously? That is the kind of thing I heard about that prompted me to take this subject for concluding paper, and what led me to funkysnooker as it is simple to study. The implications of that kind of thing a few times a month on physical and mental health are terrifying

daviking How would you maintain a ranking system without taking points from the people that are disqualified for not showing to a tournament?

For the record I'm only going to take your idea on it's merits, which so far would only prove to cause more disruption to tournaments. If you can show a solution to that then fair play to you

The ranking system at the moment is shambolic due to the fact people can choose who they play and also choose to play non-ranked games. I know its just a pointless number anyway but why not give it some meaning.

If you are DQ'd then you should lose points, thats the only way to maintain a sensible system.

Nice regular tournaments covering all game types which everyone plays. How can that not be good?
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
20:03 Thu 28 Apr 16 (BST)  [Link]  
my health is okay thanks, i can't work and nothing around my area except a shop or two and a few pubs but i'd rather save money towards something i would use than spend it
d_legend
d_legend
20:38 Thu 28 Apr 16 (BST)  [Link]  
daviking

Lol, you have disgraceful ideas. I know the site is relatively low on numbers but at least it will always average around 40 people online at any one time. If your ideas were actually a thing, it would turn to 1 very quickly, with just you alone by yourself, wondering "darn, where the heck is everyone to play this amazing format which only I think is the best thing for this site".

Btw, You are also SOOO desperate to criticize anyone who will admit to playing on the computer for more than an hour, as if it makes them a waste of human life, how dare you try to make anyone feel "terrified" about their physical or mental health, and WTF is this paper you keep talking about? Please let me know when it's finished, I'd love to read what kind of mess you've written if all of your forum posts are anything to go by.

And another btw, it really gets to me every time you say something like "it's not real". We are all real people on this site, we all have real actual normal lives, we get up, eat, drink, work, play, and sleep etc. The difference between all the people on here and yourself is that we love playing on this site, we love talking to one another, and we've done it for a long time so we have experience with what's good and bad with this game. You've seem to have come along and, no offence or animosity intended (honestly), kind of just laid a dump in all of our faces with your outrageous posts.
daviking
daviking
23:45 Mon 2 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Wow. You really do hate people being positive and suggesting improvements don't you!

I have been polite and courteous in all my posts, having noticed over the past year the same complaints are spouted again and again - no point in playing tournaments as not enough enter, and not enough people to play, or playing certain types of game.

So, I suggest a simple solution that has evolved due to feedback. Have more regular random tournaments and auto-enter all players online.

So all game types get played and tournaments can have 40 or more entries all the time. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

As for my paper, of course you can read it when its published I am not "terrifying" anyone, just being honest and stating facts. Of course this is not real, it is a website, just a collection of data stored on a computer, it can vanish tomorrow and it will make absolutely no difference to anything. Which is the basis of my studies, the way some people can become attached to internet based activities and in extreme cases consider it the equivalent of relationships and recreation in the real world. You don't need a degree in psychopathology to see how worrying that is.
d_legend
d_legend
21:45 Tue 3 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Wow. You really do hate people being positive and suggesting improvements don't you!

I have been polite and courteous in all my posts, having noticed over the past year the same complaints are spouted again and again - no point in playing tournaments as not enough enter, and not enough people to play, or playing certain types of game.

So, I suggest a simple solution that has evolved due to feedback. Have more regular random tournaments and auto-enter all players online.

So all game types get played and tournaments can have 40 or more entries all the time. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

As for my paper, of course you can read it when its published I am not "terrifying" anyone, just being honest and stating facts. Of course this is not real, it is a website, just a collection of data stored on a computer, it can vanish tomorrow and it will make absolutely no difference to anything. Which is the basis of my studies, the way some people can become attached to internet based activities and in extreme cases consider it the equivalent of relationships and recreation in the real world. You don't need a degree in psychopathology to see how worrying that is.

People have already explained why it's a bad thing, i'm not explaining it any further, it's obvious.

What's an extreme case to you?, based off your previous posts 1 hour on the computer a day is an extreme case which it really isn't. You are off your rocket.
daviking
daviking
17:39 Wed 4 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Where has this "obvious" counter point been made? I have read back the relevant threads and all thats said is that it is "rubbish" or "stupid" but yet nobody can say why.

Lets make it simple. Would you like to regularly play your favourite game type in tournaments with 30-40 or more entrants? It is a simple yes or no.

I detailed what are extreme cases in the post you just (inexplicably) quoted in full. Its just common sense not some "terrifying" alien philosophy
d_legend
d_legend
00:47 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Where has this "obvious" counter point been made? I have read back the relevant threads and all thats said is that it is "rubbish" or "stupid" but yet nobody can say why.

Lets make it simple. Would you like to regularly play your favourite game type in tournaments with 30-40 or more entrants? It is a simple yes or no.

I detailed what are extreme cases in the post you just (inexplicably) quoted in full. Its just common sense not some "terrifying" alien philosophy

YOU'RE the one who said the word terrifying, oh my jesus I can't stand you anymore.
crazy_dave
crazy_dave
01:27 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
I think if you look at this idea in a different way other than the current system, it could a great idea.

If everyone on the site - in game was automatically invited to the next tournament" if we could give the option to decline or except then if you say yes and don't turn up this is your own fault.

I know you need to press the link in game now but maybe some people are playing or waiting on a game, this way you're automatically entered. Don't look at it like being forced more than if you're on site you are entered but can refuse! I like it

On the negative side, we're not going to be in a position on such change without the owner?! if we introduced this even for guests it would get them used to the idea of tournaments games which might help push them to join the site..
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
14:23 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Still see it as being forced to join, If a Snooker player was ill, they don't force them to join, Yep they don't gain prize money but they don't get fined either which is what would happen on Funky as you're fined Ranking Points.

If all tournaments were friendly i would agree but you shouldn't lose ranking for something that is out of your control. If you manually enter and disconnect then its a shame but you made a commitment, you chose to enter.

If this happened and you refused then you shouldn't lose Rank but opponent gains Rank then no punishment is issued and opponent has free points.

On Pool Admins outlawed potting the Black on purpose to get faster Runouts where all that was at stake was 1 "free" win but if you do this, it is along the lines of what Admin outlawed in the first place. A free win and worse of all free ranking points, Where is the logic in that?

You can manually enter by pressing Tournaments > Available to join > Enter/Join or by clicking a link in game, If people want to enter then they enter manually and no amount of rules will change that as they would just decline the invitation and lose Rank for something out of their control.

Even though i don't care about Rank, i don't want to be forced to try and enter tournaments. I play friends, do practice and event games and wouldn't appreciate it. If you did it (if Nick was around) then i would most likely quit (sites dying anyway so will have to at some point).
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
14:24 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Only thing i agree with is open to guests, either Ranked (Guests disappear when they log out) or pure Friendlies.

Other than that, i will appose the idea until the end of time (i mean site)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
14:38 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Just thought of something, it reminds me of Court, You get a summons which means you're forced to go to be a Witness or whatever then if you don't turn up, you can be punished by the law as the case is then skewed. You turn up, Give evidence, usually the right outcome.

Summons is a forced tournament invite
Evidence is playing and seeing who wins
Punished is being fined for not turning up

If only i wasn't in a situation where Court isn't involved, Oh wait, don't get involved or see crime and don't break the law. In Funky terms, that means not pressing "Play" even to play Friends then i can't be forced to enter tournaments
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:19 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
I think if this was on the old system of tournaments being friendly than it would work as you don't really come at a loss.

The problem with it now is you lose ranking if you don't turn up to a game, is it really fair for a player to be at a loss out of no choice?
d_legend
d_legend
16:22 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
elgoog's original point is right and no new tournament setup would change things. everyone plays arcade. sign everyone up to every tournament, they will all still decline the invite to play if it's regular, original, carom, or power. Likewise with me coz i only like original nowadays, so I'm not interested in playing in a tournament which has me playing anything other than original.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
16:31 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
No Cam mate and thats my point, If you wasn't at a loss then i would honestly support the idea (and Refuse most anyway). If it was friendly or you didn't lose rank for a no show then i could support it.

As it is, I wouldn't log in even for fun as i would keep losing Rank over no fault of my own. People go on about Fake Newbies all the time but it would be Fake Members instead.

someone: dgen you should be 800 why are you down at 650, you're better than that
dgen: well i refused to enter tournaments and due to the silly system that was implemented, i kept lowering my points
someone: ah well, get that rank up
dgen: no point, i could play normal games but just overshadowed by tournaments

See what i mean? Lets put it another way, Nick already skewed Rank to Tournaments, Did it work? For a bit then people left and now rest going due to Java.

Situation Now?

Pretty simple, not many games for guests as tournaments rule the site, Fair? Nope.

What would i do?

simply make tournament friendly (then you can have your wish, no punishment if decline, if not then play, can even stick guests in) and make normal games the main attraction again, Try to get a working situation for Java.

Zante said even if Oracle discontinued Java then, you would still have Java on your machine (and theres sites like File Hippo) so site may not be lost but still don't have a positive mind about it.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
16:38 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
elgoog's original point is right and no new tournament setup would change things. everyone plays arcade. sign everyone up to every tournament, they will all still decline the invite to play if it's regular, original, carom, or power. Likewise with me coz i only like original nowadays, so I'm not interested in playing in a tournament which has me playing anything other than original.

True, was same when site was busy but difference is, back then, you didn't have to wait long to play Regular or Original. Carom yes though as not a lot play it
d_legend
d_legend
16:46 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  

True, was same when site was busy but difference is, back then, you didn't have to wait long to play Regular or Original. Carom yes though as not a lot play it

Back when it was pretty decent for numbers (original) I could log in and there would almost always be a game immediately if i wanted it, but I might make the decision to wait 10-15 minutes until someone of the same rank was up for playing me. Nowadays, I'm logging on and waiting for 10-15mins just to get a game against anyone.
daviking
daviking
18:56 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
^^ Now you are stating exactly what my problem was/is in the first place. You log on, and there is nothing to do for 10-15 minutes maybe more. So why on earth be so abusive to me when all I did was suggest a realistic option to fix that exact problem. (Any yes, I was referring to how terrifying, and sad, it is that there are people out there who have become so badly deluded that they confuse playing internet games with real life, in can even come to feel like human interaction for some!!)

But as for the suggestions, some very interesting points above but a couple don't make sense. Why make it an option? That just means people may not play which is the problem now. Nobody would be being "forced" to do anything! If you don't want to play just log off, why would anyone be online if they didn't want to play?

Also, far from messing up the ranking thing it will make it meaningful, as it will be a true reflection of an players ability. There should be no way to play non-ranked games. It just makes the entire idea of a rank completely and utterly meaningless.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:02 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
^^ Now you are stating exactly what my problem was/is in the first place. You log on, and there is nothing to do for 10-15 minutes maybe more. So why on earth be so abusive to me when all I did was suggest a realistic option to fix that exact problem. (Any yes, I was referring to how terrifying, and sad, it is that there are people out there who have become so badly deluded that they confuse playing internet games with real life, in can even come to feel like human interaction for some!!)

But as for the suggestions, some very interesting points above but a couple don't make sense. Why make it an option? That just means people may not play which is the problem now. Nobody would be being "forced" to do anything! If you don't want to play just log off, why would anyone be online if they didn't want to play?

Also, far from messing up the ranking thing it will make it meaningful, as it will be a true reflection of an players ability. There should be no way to play non-ranked games. It just makes the entire idea of a rank completely and utterly meaningless.

How is it a reflection of ''true ranking'' when players get put in a tournament only to not actually want to play and lose a lot of points especially against a lower ranked player?

If anything it will completely destroy the ranking system completely, it may benefit award for tournaments and game numbers but it isn't beneficial at the same time.
daviking
daviking
19:10 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
The ranking system means nothing at the moment anyways so nothing to be destroyed.

It is precisely because of the scenario you provide that the ranking system just now is not a "true ranking".

If a player is online but avoids playing in a tournament against a lower ranked player and losing, then their rank from that moment on is flat out wrong. Same applies to any player who has played friendly games.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
19:12 Thu 5 May 16 (BST)  [Link]  
nope because i'm an 800 player easily in Orig, 850 at my best. Arc maybe 750-800, Carom 700-750 (not easy to rank), Regular around 800 at my best. Killer and Power not really tried.

In most types i'm lower than i should be, not the systems fault but i chose not to play to get my rank up.

I want to play, just not tournaments or ranked games, BUT i don't want to lose Rank every time a tournament is forced on me. Rank is meaningless now anyway.

You want to talk ability but if this happened (which it won't) then will be a lot more fake newbies and members around here.

You need choices in life, This isn't Court, It is an Online Game. If i don't want to enter then i won't despite the system (you) trying to force people to do so. People didn't enter before, why would they enter if they are forced to do so or lose ranking?

You talk about not being forceful but if we go online to play friends, we're forced into a tournament, if we don't play we lose rank and then become more 'fake' which i would blame the system.

If this ever happened (which it won't) then i'll play as a guest only, out of principle. That would include all games involving Funky as i'll protect my Rank somehow and if it included people who browse then i would block the forum and find a new hobby and feel others would do the same.

Guests may join but feel it would make site worse not better.

Edited at 16:16 Thu 05/05/16 (BST)
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Explain please.

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.