Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Can Youtube Cause Viruses?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:37 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
a question for the computer geeks out there (basically those who know computers inside out).

Can Youtube cause lag? because my last computer dad took it to repair shop and 'apparently' they said that youtube put a virus on it but only anti virus we had was MCAFEE at the time.

Also browser im using is Firefox Portable (with addons Web Of Trust, Youtube Auto replay)

All i do on computer really is...

- Listen to Songs on Youtube (mostly pokemon or final fantasy, yes call me a girl if you like but im into pokemon )

- Watch WWE Wrestling Matches on Youtube

- Play Funkysnooker/Pool

- Update clan league sites (Yola + Google Docs)

I have no anti virus protection at the moment but i tried to install AVG and Avast with no success and my computer won't install some updates from last year.

If it turns out Youtube can cause viruses by simply viewing the video then ill not go on it anymore and listen to my MP3 instead.

will post on BOTH sites to try and get a reasonable answer from pool and snooker.

Just need to know to put my mind at rest.

thanks!

Edited at 22:42 Thu 27/10/11 (BST)
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:57 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
No Youtube video's cannot cause viruses.
Whoever told you that must have been joking.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:02 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cheers, i didn't think it did because ive listened to youtube from day one, its good for calming you down after your annoyed at something but needed to be 100% sure.

what anti virus would you suggest? we found a free version for talk talk customers, don't know if its any good.

also whats the best ISP you can use because atm we have 1 PC and 2 XBOX running from talk talk (paying like £5-10 a month i think thats with phone included (but have to pay for mobiles, abroad and quizzes) and just about managing but sometimes the xbox's do lag and wondered if youtube had something to do with it? i tested it once i watched youtube while watching mum in a game of call of duty and didn't lag, again need to be 100% sure on this.

Edited at 23:06 Thu 27/10/11 (BST)
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:19 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
All ISP's are rubbish in all honesty, so just go with whatever is cheapest and works out best for you. I'm currently on I think around 15MB speed with BT, which is perfectly fine for 3 laptops and a PS3.

For Anti-Viruses, I'd say Avast is the best. I've tried pretty much all AV's and Avast has impressed me far more than any others.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:25 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
right, would it be worth it if say you bought another xbox or would 3 xbox and 1 PC be too much?

ill try avast again tomorrow
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:28 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
bunrzybhoy said:
avast! Antivirus. Yeah, youtube usually causes lag when on xbox etc. Half of the time most virus's could maybe be fake, as last time it said I had one I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and said it was two 'Fake Trojans'
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:28 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Depends if you're going to play all 3 Xbox's at once lol.
Basically if there are tons of people in your house who are constantly online, then you might want to look for something a little faster than 15MB, otherwise you should be fine.

Also I'd recommend getting unlimited downloads/uploads.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:30 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
atm mostly have 2 xboxs and 1 PC running at same time (Forza 4, COD Black Ops on 1, Sky Player, COD Black Ops on 2, then funky and youtube on PC).
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:36 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
bunrzybhoy said:
avast! Antivirus. Yeah, youtube usually causes lag when on xbox etc. Half of the time most virus's could maybe be fake, as last time it said I had one I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and said it was two 'Fake Trojans'

Youtube can cause lag. Getting a virus from Youtube isn't impossible I guess, but it is extremely unlikely. You can get a virus from any site, which is partly why I now use Linux when all I'm doing is browsing the internet. Youtube videos use Flash and there have been exploits for Flash in the past, but I'm pretty sure Youtube would keep on top of things like this security wise. So yeh, basically I wouldn't worry, however if you really are paranoid, there are a couple of things you could do.

1. Use a sandboxed web browser like Sandboxie (google it). Anything downloaded intentionally or unintentionally whilst using a sandbox, will not affect your hard drive. You can then scan the download in your Sandbox before allowing it onto your computer.

2. Either use a whole new computer, or a Linux operating system for browsing the internet. Linux is free and easy to install. It's also very light so you can dual boot on most modern computers. (I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Linux with only 250GB HDD).
I'd recommend Ubuntu if you're going for Linux, although it might be a little advanced for you if you're not sure what you're doing.
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:38 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
atm mostly have 2 xboxs and 1 PC running at same time (Forza 4, COD Black Ops on 1, Sky Player, COD Black Ops on 2, then funky and youtube on PC).

Different ISP's will offer you different speeds depending on where you live and what your price range is, so I would just do a little research before jumping into anything. As I say though 15MB speed is perfectly fine for me.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:45 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
yeah i tried Ubuntu once but didn't have a clue how to do the internet part as dad set it all up
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:47 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
It's a little trickier to get used to as you need to install applications through your terminal, but it's well worth it. The speed in comparison to Windows & Mac is incredible.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:57 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
yeah i suppose Windows Vista doesn't help either?

just wish you could alter computer acceleration though so i can record without lag

anyway ill try avast and malwarebytes tomorrow
si123
si123
05:09 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
OK once again everything Jack has said is pretty much perfect

I would use Free AVG is not then Avast (Both as good as each other)

Youtube will not give you a Virus, it can cause the PC to lag though if you have got a low performance PC and trying to run to much the video of Youtube might be that bit to much and put it over the edge, but with the usage and security of Youtube it's extremly unlikely to get anything of there

ISP: I use VirginMedia it's good and cheap on my Network I have got:

My PC
My Server
Brothers PC
Spare Laptop
PS3
Xbox 360

Obviously not all running at the same time, only ones usually on are PC, Server, Bro's PC And PS3 or Xbox and that's 20MB Fibre OPtic

But I used to have 50MB F/Optic BB and it was alot better, tend to seem during peak hours 12pm-5pm get alot of lag even with just 1 or 2 things on

But get the cheapest it's irrelivant what they offer go forthe fastest speed with cheapest price that's the best way forward they are all the same basically

And Ubuntu is amazing, it's the only thing you should ever use on Linux download 11.10 might aswell keep upto date if you get it

Also James ever tried to 'overclock' your pc if you wish it to run that little bit faster?
budweiser
budweiser
13:03 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Some anti-virus software can cause that to, avg is known for it...

Try running less programs, or on startup have your pc run less programs by typing in " MSCONFIG " into run , can also speed things up for you having less running! by using services and start-up... i only have 12 running

Also james did you try what i said?
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
13:43 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
not yet bud but i plan too

does game booster help also?

Edited at 10:47 Fri 28/10/11 (BST)
jack_pot
jack_pot
17:58 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Game Booster is just another piece of crap to clutter up your computer. It's really not needed.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
18:21 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
doing a quick scan with malwarebytes now (free version), if something does occur how do i get rid?

Edit: only did a quick scan and came up with something in the registry.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8034

Windows 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16609

28/10/2011 15:35:55
mbam-log-2011-10-28 (15-35-34).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 174460
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Ext-Stats-(1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB) (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

^^

ill probably try a full scan either tonight or in morning, how long does a full scan roughly take?

Edited at 15:44 Fri 28/10/11 (BST)
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Can Youtube Cause Viruses?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.