Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Outlook Express Problems

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

toontomh
toontomh
17:24 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Basically, I use Outlook express as the e-mail client thing for my website's e-mail address. It was all fine, but when my internet got full of viruses and we sent it away to get fixed, it's come back not working properly.

Now I can recieve e-mails, and see them at the bottom of the screen when I highlight the subject etc. but as soon as I double click them to try and fully open them, it doesn't work, saying there is a problem with the address book and that I need to re-install Outlook Express. Not we did that, well sort of, just installed a newer version (Currently version 6, but we have a disk with version 8 on), and it still doesn't work.

The same problem also occurs when I try and create an e-mail or reply to one or anything like that, so basically, I can't send e-mails, though I can recieve them.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix this? Or does anyone know of any other good e-mail client things that I can use for my e-mail address?

Thanks,

Tom
spinner
spinner
Admin
18:07 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
OE is notoriously bad for this.

You would need to completely remove it, run regclean (or any other registry cleaner) and reinstall, but even that sometimes doesnt work.

I would reccomend Mozilla's Thunderbird client. Free, and plenty of good features.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/

Edited at 23:08 Wed 9/07/08 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:27 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Spinner, why on each aren't you rolling in money and taking over bill gates business? Every question every problem, you answer it soo easy. My guess is you got a A* in I.T

And tom just listen to spinner it will fix your problem.
toontomh
toontomh
18:34 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
OE is notoriously bad for this.

You would need to completely remove it, run regclean (or any other registry cleaner) and reinstall, but even that sometimes doesnt work.

I would reccomend Mozilla's Thunderbird client. Free, and plenty of good features.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/

Edited at 23:08 Wed 9/07/08 (BST)

Thanks Spinner, I searched on google for alternatives just after I posted this and found Mozilla Thunderbird so downloaded it as it soudned good, all seemed good, but this time I could send e-mails, but not recieve them! lol

I set it up as is said in this tutorial:

http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_thunderbird.htm

But every time I tried to 'Get Mail' I was prompted for a password, however, I don't know what this password is.

I've searched on google about it and it says that the password is on a welcome e-mail, well I didn't get a welcome e-mail!

Any ideas about that? Is it something to do with the set-up of it?

Thanks,

Tom
spinner
spinner
Admin
19:34 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
You'll have to check your ISP for setup details, the password will usually be your main ISP password.

Most ISP's have setup details for thunderbird on their help sections, if not, comparing the login details between Outlook guides and Thunderbirds setup shouldnt be too hard.
spinner
spinner
Admin
19:36 Wed 9 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
ste_efc said:
My guess is you got a A* in I.T

"I.T" didnt exist that far back...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:08 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I got annoyed with this ages ago, so i said "screw it" and don't bother using it anymore.

toontomh
toontomh
10:30 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
You'll have to check your ISP for setup details, the password will usually be your main ISP password.

Most ISP's have setup details for thunderbird on their help sections, if not, comparing the login details between Outlook guides and Thunderbirds setup shouldnt be too hard.

Erm... sorry if this is a stupid question (Which it more than likely is), but I don't really know where to look to find all this, you got any idea? The e-mail address I have isn't supplied by our ISP, it's a seperate one, and had a quick look on google and can't find any details about set-up details from Wanadoo (Now orange). Is there any other way to find it? Or would I have to contact them?

Thanks,

Tom

damee said:
I got annoyed with this ages ago, so i said "screw it" and don't bother using it anymore.

Wish I could do that, but I need it for my website! haha
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:02 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
What email do you use pal?
toontomh
toontomh
12:20 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
What do you mean what e-mail?

It's an e-mail address that came with the hosting package for my website (The host is Streamline).

This is a 'secondary' computer, as in it's internet connection is gained through a router, don't know if that would make any difference on how to find out the ISP settings?
spinner
spinner
Admin
13:25 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Ah ok, sorry, its more clear now.

I think this will help :

http://www.streamlinesupport.net/index.php?page=show&id=157

toontomh
toontomh
14:01 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Thanks Spinner.

But, I've gone through that and still to no avail. The SMTP is for outgoing mail isn't it? The problem for me is with incoming mail.

I also tried using the link which gives you SMTP details about your site, but still nothing...
spinner
spinner
Admin
17:33 Thu 10 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Very frustrating!

Best advice i can offer is to contact the host and ask if there is a problem with your mailbox. Its not impossible, and if you describe your problem they should be able to point you in the right direction.
toontomh
toontomh
08:56 Mon 14 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Right then, I got it working, but have come on this morning and when I try and recieve mail it's saying that the connection to my e-mail server has timed out.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited at 16:22 Mon 14/07/08 (BST)
cuchulain
cuchulain
11:14 Mon 14 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
toontomh said:
..... when I try and recieve mail it's saying that the connection to my e-mail server.

Im guessing your missing at least a few words there Tom.
toontomh
toontomh
11:22 Mon 14 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
cuchulain said:
toontomh said:
..... when I try and recieve mail it's saying that the connection to my e-mail server.

Im guessing your missing at least a few words there Tom.

Erm... No... I think you've quoted wrongly

*Goes into hiding*
cuchulain
cuchulain
14:31 Mon 14 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
toontomh said:
Right then, I got it working, but have come on this morning and when I try and recieve mail it's saying that the connection to my e-mail server has timed out.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited at 16:22 Mon 14/07/08 (BST)

So you cant receive or send email?
toontomh
toontomh
16:28 Mon 14 Jul 08 (BST)  [Link]  
cuchulain said:
toontomh said:

Thanks,

Tom

So you cant receive or send email?

Just got back in now and it seems to have fixed itself. I didn't try to send anything, but when I tried to recieve any mail it said that it the connection to my mail server (Said the server name) had timed out.

But as I say, it seems to be working again now =S
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Outlook Express Problems

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.