Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sports Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
begger
begger
Admin
23:22 Fri 6 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
well done to Andy Murray..first brittish person in the wimbledon final since 1938...best of luck in the final
blancmange
blancmange
23:25 Fri 6 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Bunny Austin!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:56 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Best chance he will get to win too.... Shame he's Scottish!

... Ducks for cover
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:03 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
eh, if his best chance is against the greatest player ever on his favorite surface, that's not good...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:34 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
yeah but he hasn't been the player he was. He's also had to come through the current no.1 that won't have helped his cause. Frankly Murray ain't favourite but he isn't like to get such a relatively easy ride to the final and face a player that is far from at his peak again.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:36 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
True, he has a better chance than a few years ago. But then again, Federer just beat the #1 in less than 3 hours, so he should be fresh.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:18 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
yeah but he hasn't been the player he was. He's also had to come through the current no.1 that won't have helped his cause. Frankly Murray ain't favourite but he isn't like to get such a relatively easy ride to the final and face a player that is far from at his peak again.

easy ride to final???

you need to check out his opponents lol

player far from his peak - just beat the current world number 1 and will be world number 1 himself if he beats Murray

how can that not be at ur peak?? pmsl
sean
sean
06:12 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
murray had to play

round 1 davydenko
round 2 karlovic
round 3 baghdatis
round 4 cilic
quarter final ferrer
semi final tsonga

i think murray had the hard draw then federer
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
13:23 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
True, but then again, none of those opponents are in the top 4 and there's a fairly big gulf between the top 4 and the rest. He is favorite against all of them. Federer beat up Djokovic pretty good yesterday...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:17 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Well said seb, simple fact is murray as number 4 normally has to beat two of the unbeleivably good top 3...

Beating 1 of them he has proved many times he's capable of, beating two in a row on the other hand.... nah.

Personally I think Andy is the best player of all time not to win a Major. No one in any generation has had to deal with the class of the 3 players all at once.
jack_pot
jack_pot
16:28 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Do people really watch tennis?
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
16:30 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I've only watched the semis. It's not even on TV anymore here in Germany (at least not on the channels I receive).
jack_pot
jack_pot
16:48 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I'd rather watch QVC TV
sean
sean
17:08 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
True, but then again, none of those opponents are in the top 4 and there's a fairly big gulf between the top 4 and the rest. He is favorite against all of them. Federer beat up Djokovic pretty good yesterday...

yeah but tsonga not far from them and ferrer
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
17:10 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Tsonga and Ferrer are many miles away from Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal.
si123
si123
21:20 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I think the top 3 are all together with Murray just behind them slightly still good enough to beat them though, then you got Tsonga Ferrer and all the rest yes they are amazing at the game and i'm sure when One of the top 4 see Tsonga they are abit nervous as he's not gonig give them a walk he's there for the same glory as them.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:44 Sat 7 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
If the likes of Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych, Del Potro(already won 1) were born into another era with the talent they have now they would be competing for slams and would win in few each imo.Like Murray they are all very unlucky to be competing with 3 of the best players ever in Federer, Nadal and Djockovic. With the exception of playing 1 of the top 3, Murrays road to the final was as hard as it could possibly be.All of them could course an upset to 1 of the top 3 on their day. It wasn't like when Nadal went out Murray was guaranteed to make the final. He has done great to get there!

Can't decide who i want to win. Have always loved Fed and he is playing for more history in this final and it seems so long since his last slam win. Really want Murray to break his duck though. His talent deserves a slam.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:07 Sun 8 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
The players you've named up there suffer the same fate as many others who played in the era Sampras/Agassi/Lendl/Edberg/Becker or earlier times.
In their era, these players are just not quite up to par with the best.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:37 Sun 8 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Its a good point. Personally I suspect most or all of those names you have mentioned would have struggled with all of the top 3 of today.

Shame were never know
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:53 Sun 8 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Its a good point. Personally I suspect most or all of those names you have mentioned would have struggled with all of the top 3 of today.
You mean Becker Sampras etc?
Of course they would've struggled by today's standards. But then again, none of today's players would be as good as they are if they were playing with older rackets, wouldn't get paid nearly as much, and didn't have as much sponsorship as they have today.

Pele and Maradona would be distinctly average in today's game as well. But comparing eras is not really fair.
What you can do is compare who dominated what eras how well. So some could argue that there was much more talent 20 years ago than today, because different people were winning slams.
Or you could argue that Djokovic, Nadal, Federer are the best ever because they're so far above everyone else in their era. Neither of which can be proved anyway.
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

well done to Andy Murray

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sports Chat.
Back to Forum List.