tapping what is it ?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
morph
morph
01:23 Sun 8 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
hey guys I have been playing on here for a few yrs now but tonight someone said I was tapping and refused to play against me, trouble is I don't know what tapping is and got no explanation when I asked, so can anyone explain please, cheers in advance morph
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:36 Sun 8 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
You move the cue ball like one or two rolls into object ball without doing much else with cue ball.

When you tap you aim to have the white touch the ball your aiming for
thegame26
thegame26
01:36 Sun 8 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
rolling up to the pack on break or tapping instead of taking a difficult shot on etc
morph
morph
18:29 Sun 8 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I always try to break the pack, but with safety too, as for tapping a ball rather than take a difficult shot, yes I have done that and had it done to me in most games I have played, so its not cheating only annoying ?, I do try most difficult shots, but it really depends on who ur playing and how they are playing against u, the game I was in was a 5sec time limit, so that's why he probably got mad at me....
thanks for ur answers guys
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:17 Sun 8 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Tapping can be a bit annoying, but generally they end up leaving a pot on or else leaving an easy safety. I prefer playing proper safety play and if you do it right you get your opponent in a bit of trouble.

People who get annoyed are usually losing
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:37 Mon 9 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
In real snooker you can play to the baulk for example leaving a tricky long red which good players won't risk.In funky long reds are pretty easy so tapping is often the only or best safety shot.

I agree with rossunited it tends to be players losing or just trying to wind you up.I recently played someone in arc , a game I usually smash break in , who just rolled into the back of the pack on the break leaving no pot , so i just played back into the pack with a bit of screw.He then went into a rave about yawn yawn..tapping...cheating..too afraid to lose etc.I pointed out he started it.

Its part of the game and the battle to gain an advantage is really the equivalent of a safety battle in the real game.

Get over it and shut up ..

adam_147
adam_147
01:34 Mon 9 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
If you know what you are doing you can try to force nudges to set up plants or easy cannons hoping your oppnent doesn't see them. People who aim to move no balls are annoying, people who are trying to develop the pack slowly are fine!
vixen_xox
vixen_xox
02:19 Mon 9 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
A lot of 'tappers' will tap at the pile of reds over and over in the hopes of frustrating their opponent into smashing the pile and letting them in, very rarely have I seen a tapper have any actual strategy to tapping other than to either be a pain or not want to take the risk of missing on the smash. Some people don't like players who smash on the break or into the reds after a safe break.. Because if they pot it's considered a 'fluke', however I don't see how there's any difference between potting off the smash or frustrating a smash out of someone to let you in. And in arcade it;s very easy to pot from a smash break and you will find players who do it because 9/10 times they do pot so it's not necessarily a 'fluke'. I've never understood why people tap at arcade however it makes a lot more sense in reg or orig beceause you can get back up the table and snooker your opponent, but tapping at a bunch of reds for long periods of time takes any joy out of the game for me personally, but if it's part of someone elses game play who is to say it's wrong.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:23 Mon 9 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
A lot of 'tappers' will tap at the pile of reds over and over in the hopes of frustrating their opponent into smashing the pile and letting them in, very rarely have I seen a tapper have any actual strategy to tapping other than to either be a pain or not want to take the risk of missing on the smash. Some people don't like players who smash on the break or into the reds after a safe break.. Because if they pot it's considered a 'fluke', however I don't see how there's any difference between potting off the smash or frustrating a smash out of someone to let you in. And in arcade it;s very easy to pot from a smash break and you will find players who do it because 9/10 times they do pot so it's not necessarily a 'fluke'. I've never understood why people tap at arcade however it makes a lot more sense in reg or orig beceause you can get back up the table and snooker your opponent, but tapping at a bunch of reds for long periods of time takes any joy out of the game for me personally, but if it's part of someone elses game play who is to say it's wrong.

Wish I could say the same!!

I absolutely hate tapping bores the hell out of me. I'm not sure why people complain about it tho, takes 2 to do it. If you don't like it then when they tap you smash, simple, what gets me is when all the reds are open and there's no pot on so they just roll up behind the red without making any attempt at a safety
vixen_xox
vixen_xox
16:30 Mon 9 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ha I've yet to find the perfect spot myself on the smash break but I'd say I pot off of the smash about 60% of the time, it's a risk to take because you usually end up being snookered on the colours anyway but it's fairly easy to play safe and that way you don't have to spend an hour tapping at the pile because they're all open. In some games if it's a clan game or something i'll usually do the safe break to the back of the pile and tap in a way where some reds become loose but only as difficult pots, again, not really something I'm often prepared to do in arcade, it's more for the bigger tables because there is so much more room.
what gets me is when all the reds are open and there's no pot on so they just roll up behind the red without making any attempt at a safety
This ^ gets on my nerves too, or the dreaded tap where people move the cue ball so slightly all you hear is the sound of 2 balls but don't even see any move. I indulge people sometimes and tap back to see how long they really are prepared to sit doing it for without any kind of strategy, needless to say I'm always the one who ends up smashing.. So maybe there really is method to the madness
blancmange
blancmange
18:52 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'll be open here and say I do get moody when players tip tap (particularly on arcade) and referring to something rossunited said, it's the same whether i'm winning or losing. I'll smash into reds first time regardless of the points tally or if I know i'm going to leave lots of opportunities. If I end up winning the game afterwards, it kind of makes it more satisfying, knowing I've won with a completely casual attitude to the game, instead of tip-tapping, which I associate with someone who plays uber-seriously. I then think that if my opponent sees it's possible to win this way, he/she may be a bit "braver" next time and not do it. I will also be less open to chatting with players if I know them to be tip-tappers, mainly because it jars with the way I think the game ought to be played. My advice, take a chance or two, it will usually pay off, and it makes for a much more care-free game!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:53 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I don't like tapping myself and it does get a bit annoying at times but when It's perfectly within the rules to do it then you have no right to tell them how the game should be played.

I had to have a chuckle at your post tbh as I remember beating you before and you ran away without saying a word. I find it funny playing people that can't take losing on an online game but it certainly doesn't set a very good example to members when a moderator does it. I'm not sure where you get care-free game from I'd say you cared a bit to much if anything.
blancmange
blancmange
20:07 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Well, I expected to get responses like the one above. I suppose being a member of staff, you are putting your head above the parapet a bit. Firstly, i'm not "telling" anyone how they should play the game at all, I think you've misread what I've said there. I'm merely expressing my view on how I like the game to be played. You're more than welcome to play how you like. I would also add that just because I'm a moderator, doesn't mean I should be devoid of opinion(s), just like you and everyone else on the forum. If staff didn't have opinions, not a lot what get done quickly on here. Secondly, I'm sure I wasn't the first (and I won't be the last) to leave a game without writing anything in the chat box. Just as Tip-tapping isn't in the rule book, neither is having to use the chat box to communicate in every frame. I would describe a care-free game as just coming on, playing a few frames without any quibbles, without having to type in the chat box every time you do it.

Edited at 18:11 Wed 11/03/15 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:34 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I will also be less open to chatting with players if I know them to be tip-tappers

Why when they are not doing anything wrong? A member of staff doing this just because he doesn't like someones style of play is out of order and damn right rude in my opinion when they are doing nothing wrong. If anyone disagrees with me and thinks I'm in the wrong then please say so.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I see It more as you trying to tell them how the game should be played when theres no right or wrong, yes leaving a game without saying anything isn't against the rules but It's bad sportsmanship, are moderators not supposed to set a good example to members or am I missing something?
blancmange
blancmange
20:49 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I absolutely hate tapping bores the hell out of me. I'm not sure why people complain about it tho, takes 2 to do it. If you don't like it then when they tap you smash, simple, what gets me is when all the reds are open and there's no pot on so they just roll up behind the red without making any attempt at a safety

I could, if I wanted to, perceive what you have said there as "telling" me what I ought to do in that situation. Difference is, is a) I view it as an opinion, not a directive, b) I actually agree with your point. The fact that you "absolutely hate" tapping would suggest (although I don't want to accuse) that you aren't overly friendly to the members who do it either?

Yes, I am unlikely to speak to player who tip-taps, just as you probably are unlikely to speak to me again if I've ignored you in the past. Both aren't in the rules, but both change our attitudes towards certain players and how we behave.

I can see your point on setting an example. I do often say "gg" or "ul" and I hope some players would vouch for that (although more are likely to complain when you don't - it's only natural). Maybe it's something I need to work on?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:03 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Just because I hate tapping doesn't mean I have a problem with it, which I don't as It's perfectly legit to do it, they tap I smash problem solved, where you go a completely different way about it and spit the dummy

I'm playing someone in game as we speak hawke who tap breaks I'm sure he could tell you how overly friendly I am about it, of course I'd speak to you again, I'm very polite and sporting in game even if its someone i dislike
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:17 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Lol fuunky, didn't do you any harm 3-0 to you I believe, maybe I should change my strategy.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:35 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm glad you posted m8, sorry for tagging you was just trying to prove a point, hope that answers your question blancmange!!
blancmange
blancmange
21:47 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
It wasn't a question, it was an inference, i'm glad you may have even converted one person's strategy in the process. I think I've already conceded some ground and been quite fair in my language towards you, but responding with stuff like "spit the dummy" undermines someone else's view so I think I'm done on this one haha
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:53 Wed 11 Mar 15 (GMT)  [Link]  
Haha I converted nothing, didn't mention a thing to him just tagged him to see if he would post and with him not posting before I didn't expect him to tbh, going in a mood because someone taps against you is spitting the dummy, simple as that, enough said!!
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

tapping what is it ?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.