Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
cuchulain
cuchulain
04:55 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Personally I use Firefox and have never had any problems with it, especially never experienced proper lag.

Which one are you using?
Are you using something else, like Opera?
virtuoso107
virtuoso107
06:28 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Can't stand firefox personally, tried it out for a day a while back and just couldn't adjust to it, so its I.e 7 for me (btw is there any update on I.e yet?).
cuchulain
cuchulain
06:41 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Internet Explorer 8 is still in beta, which it will probably remain for a few months yet. I would not recommend trying any beta software, especially something as nitpicky as Internet Explorer.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:32 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I can only use Firefox, I/E lags a bit and it also has a little strip at the top witch makes the table a bit smaller.

With Firefox its easier to pot and iv never had a problem with it
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:19 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
i have to use firefox as my flash player wont work on IE booooooo
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:00 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I use firefox
luckypot
luckypot
Admin
12:28 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I personally prefer using firefox, I find there is a much smaller chance of viruses, as many people just don't write them for it.

Although, I find once you have downloaded firefox it can slightly disrupt the normal operation of IE, but maybe that's just me!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:11 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
this is the first site (besides Orange; our homepage) that i have been on with Firefox, which i just got.

So if i'd of posted an hour ago, it would of been Internet Explorer... but now its Mozilla Firefox.
cuchulain
cuchulain
13:38 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Firefox on the road to world domination

Ive been using it for 2 years and never got any adware or spyware through a website. Interesting that it may be some peoples answer to the battle with lag.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:45 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I went mad once and tried them all out, IE was still the best...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:48 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I might have to try out Firefox because I.E still closes itself down randomly without warning.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:17 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
definately get firefox... its the best thing ive done today!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:22 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Internet explorer i used to use but now i use msn.6 due to exploror won't open for me lol
iamtheworst
iamtheworst
14:39 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I've just started using Firefox and i have to say, its miles better than IE. Especially for playing the game lol
spinner
spinner
Admin
17:22 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
It's largely a matter of personal preference, but i am using IE8 now, have been for a few weeks. It has a simple roll-back to IE7 if anything trips up.

2nd favourite is Opera though, and used to be my first pick until IE7 came along and cured my lag problems overnight!

I personally never reccomend Firefox due to its lack of security and simple instability. Again, thats my personal experience.

The biggest useability problem i have with FF is it's inability to render tabs independantly, which defeats the point of having them for me.
cuchulain
cuchulain
15:47 Thu 15 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
I personally never reccomend Firefox due to its lack of security and simple instability. Again, thats my personal experience.

.....inability to render tabs independantly, which defeats the point of having them for me.

Just out of pure curiousity do you recall any specific security concerns (I know FF handling of activex controls is slightly more lax than IE but thats all I can think of). The reason I ask is that where I work we are thinking of rolling out FF as the primary web browser. If there are security concerns relating to it......well I should know them

Could you also just elaborate on your final point, what exactly do you mean by rendering tabs independently (as an IT person I really show know what you are talking about.........*embarassed*)

Edited at 20:48 Thu 15/05/08 (BST)
blutch
blutch
06:45 Sat 17 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I also use Firefox as my primary web browser, whatever OS I'm using (Windows - Linux).

For historical reasons, I also use Opera, exclusively to play funkysnooker! (that reason is that at one time I messed up my Java installation in firefox, and could only play with Opera... which remained my funkysnooker gaming platform until now)

I only use IE's when testing some website design, and unfortunately it's often useful, as I always find new behavior differences with other browsers!

By the way, for those who are too used to IE7's theme and don't want to change their habits, try this firefox theme:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4129
This week we just got a colleague at work to use firefox thanks to that theme!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:05 Sat 17 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I hate fiefox! I thought i got bad lag on ie7 until i tried that!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:42 Sat 17 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
damee said:
I hate fiefox! I thought i got bad lag on ie7 until i tried that!

Firefox gets rid of my lag
spinner
spinner
Admin
03:27 Mon 19 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
cuchulain said:

Just out of pure curiousity do you recall any specific security concerns (I know FF handling of activex controls is slightly more lax than IE but thats all I can think of). The reason I ask is that where I work we are thinking of rolling out FF as the primary web browser. If there are security concerns relating to it......well I should know them

We dont allow firefox on any systems with open internet access, simply due to the instability caused mainly by add-ons (which people who use firefox *always* seem to use) and it's tendancy to run various types of code by default and without a warning.

(Edit - this is how we observed FF to behave in its default setup. Yes, settings can be changed, but we also found that when it updated, the settings reverted to default. We require the browser to be secure by default, then if a user bypasses that, on their head be it.)

This evaluation was made a fair while ago (6 months ish) so things may be better now. FF3 looks a lot tighter but had its own problems at last testing.

cuchulain said:
Could you also just elaborate on your final point, what exactly do you mean by rendering tabs independently (as an IT person I really show know what you are talking about.........*embarassed*)

This was my biggest gripe, and again may have been sorted since (am at work so can't try it!)

Put simply, if you load a slow loading page in tab1, then open a new one, the page in tab2 wont load until tab1 is finished.

Maybe means nothing to some, but it bugs me no end

Edited at 08:29 Mon 19/05/08 (BST)
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.