Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

PSN Downtime

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:20 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm sure you all know this from the email that was sent from Sony today but..

In case you haven't all heard already, PSN has been hacked.

If any of you have entered credit card details through PSN, your details may have been taken. So be careful on your statements.

Also, they have recommended that when PSN is up and running again, that you change your password, and if you have used that same password for any other sites or anything, change that as well.

Just making sure we all get the message because I don't want anyone to have a bill for a Ferrari that some hacker has bought using your credit card.
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:43 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I swear if I was that hacker, I'd be laughing so hard right now.
si123
si123
03:30 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
It was a group not just one and I think what they do is, do all of the hard work then say to script kiddies do this that n so forth with their tools and they just mess around on it.

But it's impressive more than I could handle
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:51 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Sony are going to be in big trouble with the Information Commissioner
si123
si123
15:20 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Do you think so?

If they meet the security perimitars then should they really be held responsible for the actions of somebody else?

If you got a Virus could you get AVG/NOD etc into trouble because they have not caught it causing somebody to get your CC details etc.

The thing with this the group who have done it will not be caught, i'm guessing they have being doing it for months and months getting bits of information making the correct programs each day untill they had all they need.

I can't wait untill something is leaked though to find out how they have done it as i'm really intreaged in this the man hours put in must of being immense it's not like the average PHPBB forum which you could hack in like 1/2 hour lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:10 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I can understand your point Si, but isn't the PSN network being down the point to this thread?

Anyone can talk about how/when they done it, i guess we'll never truly know.

You think if Sony find those responsible they will let you know how they accessed the system to cause an "external intrusion" and what details they took/seen? I don't fella!

Its like Sony has said:

Make sure you keep an eye on your bank statements and keep your eyes peeled to e-mail, telephone and postal scams.

If you feel left out and would like to know more, here is a link for you all to keep your eye on!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/28/playstation-network-and-qriocity-outage-faq/
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
16:31 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
glad i didnt get a PS3 now, i would have only got it for MGS anyway
jack_pot
jack_pot
19:17 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
si123 said:
It was a group not just one and I think what they do is, do all of the hard work then say to script kiddies do this that n so forth with their tools and they just mess around on it.

But it's impressive more than I could handle

You don't know it was a group for sure..
I know there are some that say it was the hacking group "Anonymous", but it's possible that it was just one person.

It was a DDoS attack so they don't need script kiddies to do work for them, they just need a huge botnet.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:31 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
The "Hacktivist" group Anonymous are claiming responsibility for it - they have even put out a load of messages on YouTube about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tm7UKo4IBc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgtn53sFElE&feature=player_embedded#at=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN39AtqUbIA&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_145598

They have called it "Operation PAYBACK" as Sony apparently took a geo-hacking team to court, and Anonymous are getting back at them... LOL

--

On the subject of the hacking - as Jack said, it was a DDoS attack so no script writers doing anything
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:34 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Those video's weren't made by Anonymous. Yes the group claimed they were going to get pay back for what happened to George Hotz after he hacked Playstation, but if you check out their website, they claim it has nothing to do with them, (why would they lie?)..

http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=848
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:59 Thu 28 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
si123 said:
Do you think so?

If they meet the security perimitars then should they really be held responsible for the actions of somebody else?

If you got a Virus could you get AVG/NOD etc into trouble because they have not caught it causing somebody to get your CC details etc.

The thing with this the group who have done it will not be caught, i'm guessing they have being doing it for months and months getting bits of information making the correct programs each day untill they had all they need.

I can't wait untill something is leaked though to find out how they have done it as i'm really intreaged in this the man hours put in must of being immense it's not like the average PHPBB forum which you could hack in like 1/2 hour lol

I was only quoting something I'd heard on the news that they could be investigated if it turned out that the users' information wasn't properly protected
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:10 Fri 29 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Sometimes it doesn't matter how well protected stored information is, there will always be a vulnerability which can be exploited. So I don't think Sony can take any of the blame for this.

No matter what website or network you register on, the administrator/owner can never guarantee that your information is 100% secure. The only guarantee they can make is that they will try their hardest to prevent your account & personal details from being compromised.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:35 Fri 29 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
Sometimes it doesn't matter how well protected stored information is, there will always be a vulnerability which can be exploited. So I don't think Sony can take any of the blame for this.

No matter what website or network you register on, the administrator/owner can never guarantee that your information is 100% secure. The only guarantee they can make is that they will try their hardest to prevent your account & personal details from being compromised.

Well put.

It takes two to tango, so to speak. Everybody should know your details are at risk of being exposed when you sign up to any site/subscription. And Playstation are losing money/customers by the hour, i think it's in their best interests to get it up A.S.A.P.
si123
si123
13:55 Fri 29 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
They have got alot to do, people assume after something like this you can just get it up and running within moments with which they possibly could but it's pointless if they have not fixed the exploit. I don't think it was done to get peoples money I think it was more of a 'Yeah so what we can hack PSN'

And people don't no who it is hackers get caught arrested daily.... but the best are the ones nobody knows about the ones that just look at the task ahead get the job done and then sit back and watch the telly

And i'm thinking how many people are on the BotNet list for it to effect something like this, the skill required for somebody to create something that big alone is immense we used to try by putting links on msn etc but you would never reach thousands let alone millions lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:10 Fri 29 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
All they are doing is making the security stronger and tighter IMO, and fixing the exploit, but they want to make sure that it can't be reopened and used again I guess..

It will definitely be more than 1 person, but they won't just give it to some scripters to do, all of them would have an enormous amount of knowledge on how to hack anything..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:08 Sat 30 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahaha
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:12 Sat 30 Apr 11 (BST)  [Link]  
GO AWAY.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:40 Sun 1 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
no
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:41 Tue 3 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
It's amazing what the Americans can do when the PSN server is down
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:18 Tue 3 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
loooooool
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

PSN Downtime

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.