League Discussion Thread II

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 16061
buckjam
buckjam
04:45 Mon 29 Sep 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I thought the individual league was a good idea. However it has'nt really got going (yet! hopefully) I think the format is good.
I like the format in the league too mind as you can play players to their strengths.

I havent been involved long in trying to get players to play their matches. If they dont care then you have no chance regardless of how many you have playing. FSD probably has 4-5 good reliable players. The rest are from pool or newbies. Not our fault as thats all there has been to pick from.

I think as a quick fix you could have a floating sub. Perhaps some one whos overall ranking is below 730 or so who can sub on any match. This would guarantee a couple of lower quality players into the teams and mean that if they were reliable , no defaults. Even then i think it would be useful to use the ranking system to guarantee a fairer team spread. Say 6 at any rank, 3 below 750 and 3 below 700. Anyone caught deactivating to restart their stats are penalized.

I do believe that some of defaults arise from the lower teams being unable to win anything and they lose the will. With a fairer spread of the players that do play it would become much more competitive. And if we give the little guy a go in some fixtures we might start encouraging them to keep playing.

Well thats my brain fart for tonight.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:44 Sun 5 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Rank isn't really a viable solution as some people only play clans or friendlies etc. Or else they could lose purposely if they really wanted to. So, unfortunately I don't see this being implemented but I do agree something needs to change
stephenh2014
stephenh2014
19:25 Mon 6 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think dropping numbers to around 8 players would be a good idea cause my clan does have 8 reliable players but no more than that and to find another 4 reliable players on the modern day funky is a hell of a job.
I think its better than same numbers but less clans, 5 clans is really not much.
m_wood
m_wood
20:49 Sun 12 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
any news any newsssssss
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
23:28 Sun 12 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
No need to decide anything before the end of the season. We'll have a good look at it once the current games are over. I agree that we certainly cant continue with 12-player teams though. Either a decrease in players and structure or something completely different. Open to ideas!
erigert
erigert
23:35 Sun 12 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Well if theres going to be less than 12 players better to decide it now as i wont be going to find players and later drop them. For me the ideal team sizes would be 14 players. There was a drastic change two seasons ago from 16 to 12 which of course has raised the number of defaults
stephenh2014
stephenh2014
00:02 Mon 13 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I agree with erigert, i'd rather see this decided sooner than later as some players in my team, and im sure some captains too, want to know what they're up to.
I like m_woods idea but i dont see anything wrong with the same amount of clans, less players per clan either. Apart from the lack of proper league players theres not much wrong with the league format is there?
In my opinion smaller teams wouldnt lead to more defaults, but less. Speaking for Sharpshooters if the maximum amount of players would drop from 12 to 8 i could get rid of my 4 most unreliable players and i'm sure that would lead to less defaults. The amount of games in a fixture would have to be adapted to the max amount of players in a clan of course, for example drop the mixed games or allow every player to play in a fixture twice.
As Seb said, one thing that can't happen is clans being the same size as they are now.
buckjam
buckjam
01:59 Mon 13 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
How about just having 4 matches per fixture and 6 players per team. Teams like D&c could have an a & b side. That way you would have 2 spare for subs. Also reduce the time between fixture to 10 days as the matches are smaller. As you might have lots of teams, play in leagues with promotions and relegations each season.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:08 Mon 13 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
For me the ideal team sizes would be 14 players. There was a drastic change two seasons ago from 16 to 12 which of course has raised the number of defaults
Funky history challenge accepted:

Defaults over the last few seasons:
(Season; games that went to default; total games; default percentage)

Season 11: 15/270 = 5.55%
Season 12: 15/270 = 5.55%
------Change to current league format------
Season 13: 8/294 = 2.72%
Season 14: 10/294 = 3.40%
Season 15 so far: 12/252 = 4.76%

As you can see, the number of defaults has been more or less cut in half after the change to 12-player teams.
In fact, even the current season where there have been a lot of defaults due to the overall downturn of active players on funky has seen fewer defaults than in the seasons before the change to 12-player teams!
erigert
erigert
17:45 Mon 13 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I take back my word than
stephenh2014
stephenh2014
16:27 Fri 24 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Ive heard the pre season friendlies are starting in 3 weeks so before then I'd like to know a bit more about whats going to change, I cant just fire 4 of my players 1 day before the season lol.

I think the league setup on itself is pretty good, the only problem is the lack of reliable players. So as far as I can see there are only two options:

- Reduce max players per clan to 10 (that way most clans will be fine on amount of reliable players)
- Reduce max players per clan to 8 (that way clans are defo safe on reliable players and some quality players would be forced to look for another clan which would make the league fairer)

There are many different ways to work this out, as i said before one option is to scrap the mixed games, another to allow every player to play in a fixture twice.
Maybe all captains could vote about all of this
buckjam
buckjam
00:55 Sat 25 Oct 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Ive heard the pre season friendlies are starting in 3 weeks so before then I'd like to know a bit more about whats going to change, I cant just fire 4 of my players 1 day before the season lol.

I think the league setup on itself is pretty good, the only problem is the lack of reliable players. So as far as I can see there are only two options:

- Reduce max players per clan to 10 (that way most clans will be fine on amount of reliable players)
- Reduce max players per clan to 8 (that way clans are defo safe on reliable players and some quality players would be forced to look for another clan which would make the league fairer)

There are many different ways to work this out, as i said before one option is to scrap the mixed games, another to allow every player to play in a fixture twice.
Maybe all captains could vote about all of this

Sounds good to me
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
22:12 Sun 26 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
There is no timeline towards the preseason friendlies. The Cup Final only finishes tonight, so definitely not coming soon.
We will take as much time as we need to figure out how to continue.

But ideas should definitely be thrown out there.
What we need for each idea is number of players per clan and format of fixtures.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:41 Mon 27 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
What I have thought of is a reduction to eight players per team. With 80 players currently listed in clans based on the website, that makes around 10 teams for this format. I know some of these are inactive, but there are also new players being signed outside of this list so it balances out.

In terms of fixture structure, I would say scrap the mixed games but keep the remainder the same, leaving the format as:
1. One Match of Arcade (6 Frames)
2.One Match of Regular (6 Frames)
3. One Match of Original (6 Frames)
4. One Match of Carom (6 Frames)
5. One Match of Power (3 Frames)
6. Two Matches of 2v2 Killer

In order to maintain a similar Matches:Players ratio for each fixture, I propose a (perhaps somewhat controversial ) rule whereby each player may play in two matches in a given fixture twice per season, once in the first half of the season and once in the second half. Also each team may only use this rule once per fixture i.e. No more than one player may play in two matches in any given fixture.
adam_147
adam_147
00:16 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I like that idea but the only downside of 8 player teams is what happens with the cup. Teams putting out 6 from 8 players could cause problems as there are many players who don't like the cup format as they don't want to play carom and/or power. However, less than 6v6 makes a bit of a mockery of the cup. That would take some consideration.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:34 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I like that idea but the only downside of 8 player teams is what happens with the cup. Teams putting out 6 from 8 players could cause problems as there are many players who don't like the cup format as they don't want to play carom and/or power. However, less than 6v6 makes a bit of a mockery of the cup. That would take some consideration.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the cup. As you say that is one thing which ideally shouldn't change.
adam_147
adam_147
01:56 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I think 10 players would be managable. There are 80 players on the books at the moment or something, say 60 of them are actually going to play. That's still 6 clans which is enough for a decent season playing each clan twice. Maybe kill one of the mixed games so there are 6 games per fixture (+ killer) and keep the cup at 6v6?
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
08:35 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Looking at how much clans were struggling at the end, is a reduction by one game per fixture enough?
adam_147
adam_147
19:18 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Well in theory with smaller clans the active players should be distributed out amongst the existing clans so that needs factoring in too.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:48 Tue 28 Oct 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The number of games compared to number of players is currently 58.33%.

With 6 games for 10 players it becomes 60%
With 5 games for 8 players it becomes 62.5%
With 5 games for 9 players* it becomes 55.56%

*8 players per team with 1 able to play twice
Pages: 16061
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

League Discussion Thread II

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.