Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Buying a new computer

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:54 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm going to be buying a new computer, but i dont really have that much knowledge on them, or what's suitable for what. So i am posting this on here to see if anybody could be able to direct me towards a computer suitable for my needs.

I want a computer that will with stand playing games, holding a substantial amount amount of music, pictures ect. i want it to be able to do several tasks at once without it lagging or slowing at all.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:59 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Macs are good but you would have to download firefox to play this
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:13 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
It depends on how much you want to spend - you pay more for better computers nowadays, so it would be helpful to see what sort of price range you are looking at.

Also, would you be looking to buy a Laptop, or a Desktop PC?

If Laptop - any of the HP Entertainment Laptop series would be ideal. They are specifically designed for entertainment (obviously), so they have a large memory, and perform very efficiently. I can say by experience myself, that these Laptops are very good as I have one of my own.
This Laptop that I have was usually £450, but if you buy at the right time, like just before/after Christmas, there is always savings, and I saved £100 on it.

But as I said, it would help if we knew what price range you are looking at.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:16 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
well anything upto £500, i don't want to spend to much on one as it won't be used everyday all day, so i'd say around the £500 mark.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:20 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
And the other question?

Laptop or Desktop?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:54 Wed 4 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
preferably desktop, but either would be useable.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:19 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't know about Desktops, but HP Entertainment Laptops would be ideal IMO.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:25 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeh, desktops are a bit, how do we put this.....90's? You should really be looking for a decent laptop, i have an Acer Aspire and its nifty.....also playin this game with a mouse sucks
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:29 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Agreed, playing with a touchpad is far more easier
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:51 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
i'm playing with a laptop on here at the minute, and im not to keen with it which is why im looking for a computer of some sort
jack_pot
jack_pot
00:57 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
You have a budget of £500, so honestly your best bet would be to build your own computer.. You can buy an external touchpad if that's what you prefer to play with.

I know it may sound like an impossible task for someone with little computer knowledge, but it's actually incredibly straight forward. It's just a case of buying the parts, and putting them together like a jigsaw.
If you want advice on buying parts to build a computer, just PM me.

Building your own is a good way of getting a powerful computer, for a cheap price. You could build a computer for £500, and it will be as powerful as pre-built computers which sell for up to £1000.

Don't get an Apple Mac. Yes they may seem trendy, but they're a waste of money. HP make very nice laptops, and Sony Vaios are very good.

If you want it to perform well, make sure it has a decent amount of RAM (I'd suggest 4GB), and you could probably get away with a Core2Due processor.

I own a gaming laptop (Alienware M11X), which has 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and an Intel Core2Duo processor, and it performs extremely well, although I got ripped off quite a bit.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:05 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:

I own a gaming laptop (Alienware M11X), which has 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and an Intel Core2Duo processor, and it performs extremely well, although I got ripped off quite a bit.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:48 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
arpeggi said:
jack_pot said:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:52 Thu 5 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I think he meant as a "oooo check you!!"
jack_pot
jack_pot
00:24 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Well in that case he obviously totally misunderstood what I was saying..

The point I was trying to make was, even though my laptop was made with gaming in mind, the specs are average. Meaning you don't need to spend a stupid amount of money like I did, just for the brand, for a computer that performs well.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Buying a new computer

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.