Euro 2012!!!

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sports Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 11920
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:14 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't blame Roy per say, but the way we set up does not help. 4-4-2 against class sides is not the way forward, yet it is all Roy knows.

Pirlo had so much time and space it was unreal and he is an absolute artist on the ball. I said to my mate earlier that if we could stop Pirlo then we would stop Italy but he was just allowed to pick the ball up in between our strikers and midfeilders and then ran the show from there. Italy should have won 3 or 4 nil.

Then when we got the ball we have no options bar attacking with the full backs because Parker and Gerrard are out on their feet.

Italy are not even that great, yet they were so far superior to us today in every department. Better coached, better set out, better awareness, better understanding, better philosophy, better naturally gifted, just better.

It is nobodies fault but the FA. Far to much emphasis on plugging the cash cow that is the Premiership and not enough time, money or coaching at grass roots level for youngsters to learn that it's not about being able to score from 30 yards, being able to tackle, be fast, be strong, but first and foremost it's about being able to play football in a team. To pass and to move, to want the football and to not want to give it away.

We have players with great attributes, natural athletes and players who give it their all, but they do not have the basics. Very few English players want the ball, and those that do, do not know how to use it effectively.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:18 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I dont understand one thing.. Why is it.. that our players get tired after 10 minutes.. and the Italians and other countries can go on like that for a year lmao

Because football is far harder when your chasing shadows for 120 minutes which England were.

Pirlo for example is 33 years old but didn't break sweat. He just stands, walks with the ball and never ever gives it away.

He is someone who I want Gerrard to try and become. The days of his lung bustng runs are over. Time to learn the subtle side to the game now.
samj147
samj147
02:36 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I get what you're saying about the grass roots level. When I was playing in our junior sides I remember so many players tried to do everything on their own hoping to be scouted off the local clubs. Even in the local academies most players were greedy and didn't know how to co-operate as a team. English football is based around the wages now, young players want to be footballers for the cash, they aren't as focused on becoming the best team players. Roy has done a great job and I hope the media don't go mad at how we sat back all game because that won't help anyone.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:43 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Just read a tweet that I agree with

Tom Adams Tom EuroSport

Roy Hodgson getting criticism for failing to correct decades of cultural deficiency in seven weeks? What exactly did people expect?

Says it all tbh. England all blust and thunder and very little class.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:44 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
The first half was still a fairly even affair, with slight advantages to the Italians. But England gave it a go at some stages there.
From the second half onwards, it seemed like they were willing to go to penalties, which- being England- is just ridiculous.
Italy were not this superpower team that you have to sit back against. There are enough attacking players in the English team to have a go and a decent one at that.

In the end, Italy deserved it. Pirlo's chip was the turning point...only the greats do that in such a situation.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:54 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  

In the end, Italy deserved it. Pirlo's chip was the turning point...only the greats do that in such a situation.

He should have done it in Istanbul 7 years ago But yeah it was beautiful. He's just a class player.

Young, Welbeck and Rooney were just horrible today.

How did Young manage to play as much as he did I'll never know. He is the worst culprit when it comes to being tactically stupid. Switches off in defence, runs into dead ends with the ball and just basically is clueless at everything bar crossing and shooting.

He's not nearly good enough to play on the wing at international level, he's good just behind a striker where he doesn't have to think too much. Abate and Maggio had a field day down that side because of his poor positioning. At least Milner did help Glen Johnson out. Poor Ashley Cole was left on his own against 2 players.

Stewart Downing, Theo Walcott and I'm willing to bet Oxlade Chamberlain turns out the exact same, think running and crossing is all a winger needs to do. Maybe in the premier league but against teams who keep the ball and wait before they go for the killer pass, it's not enough.
m_wood
m_wood
16:44 Mon 25 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Not Penalties again

Gutting. Another game in EURO 2012 for England and another torterous game holy moly guakamole. England did well for the first half hour, could of scored then Italy just controlled from thereonin. Defended brilliantly, how many blocks did John Terry make in that game. Just 2nd half just couldnt keep hold of the ball and recklessly giving it away. Every goalkick from Hart went long and we lost it after 5 seconds, just the midfield and strikers had no movement, they all looked dead on their feet. I was urging Rooney to get on the left to switch and get Young on the right, and get Walcott through the middle so he could run at the Italians through the middle as he was getting no service on the right. Balotelli had a very good game too, though he petered off in the 2nd half as well.

Penalties and well, thought it would be Englands turn to win, surprised Cole missed his pen though I knew he would go to the right, but he seemed to stutter in the pen when ususally he smashes it in. Joe Harts comedy faces were funny.

So England sadly out, on Penalties, in the Quarter Finals... thats as far as we would of said they would go. Still, they are only 1 of 4 teams who didnt lose a game through play in the tournament and thats something.

Well done England. But for god sakes, give us a tournament easy on the eye, coz watching you in every game is Torture. Well done Roy Hodgson too he had a good tournament also.

England Till I Die.
m_wood
m_wood
22:09 Wed 27 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Spain Portugal and Germany Italy.

Final we want Spain Germany right? Curious to see how they would do against eachother....

Alll about Ronaldo tonight though.

England/Italy had like 23 million viewers at its peak, and is the most watched thing on television this year, and is actually the most watched thing since 2004!...What was that most watched thing in 2004? England/Portugal.

We Love Football more than Eastenders. Its a fact yall.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:12 Wed 27 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I thought you royal wedding would of had more but I guess football is the best
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
22:15 Wed 27 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I thought you royal wedding would of had more but I guess football is the best

apparently the Barlows wedding on Corrie had more viewers than the Royal Wedding as well lol
m_wood
m_wood
01:45 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Spain become only the 2nd team in history to reach 3 finals in a row! Though never really got going till extra time... Ramos with a Pirlor of a penalty!! Who had confidence in Bruno Alves taking his penalty after walking up for the second time, anybody??? Ronaldooooooo why didnt you take your Penalty man! Crazy decision.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:55 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
He went for the glory peno like Gerrard in 2005. Neither got to take their pen but in 05 I wasn't too fussed.

Not to fussed this time either. Had quite enough of his over dramatic free kick pose to last a lifetime so I'd hate to see what he'd do before taking a crucial peno. Whatta tart.

Spain fans all taunting him: 'Messi Messi Messi'. Bet a lot of them with Madrid fans too.

Looking forward to tomorrows game now, both even sides really, Germany should shade it I think because of the extra days rest and the fact they rested key players against Greece. Plus they are a slightly better side.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:08 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I hope they "rest" Gomez again....
everyone keeps saying we rested key players- the players we stuck in are at least as good if not better and some of them should be playing anyway (if we go by form).
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:34 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Can't see it happening myself, but I hope Reus is first sub. Prefer him over Schurrle not that he's not talented himself, just that I really like Reus.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:20 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Spain become only the 2nd team in history to reach 3 finals in a row! Though never really got going till extra time... Ramos with a Pirlor of a penalty!! Who had confidence in Bruno Alves taking his penalty after walking up for the second time, anybody??? Ronaldooooooo why didnt you take your Penalty man! Crazy decision.

They never really got going until extra time, this is because portugal were all tired in extra time due to playing spain at their own game and going for it, i thought it was quite brave of the managerwhatever his face is too put out a 4-3-3 especially against a team as good as spain,

thought portugal dominated play pretty much the first 60-75 minutes tbh, and then got tired and spain just hit them where it hurt, they held off them spanish players really well and pressed up the field just as spain do, iker casillas at points in the game had to hit the ball up the field as he had no one to pass to lol, was gutted to see ronaldo miss that last chance when portugal had 4 men on 2 defenders, could have made it a winner and seal my bet for me

hugo almeda was terrible, made some poor decisions when getting towards the spanish goal, kept shooting rather then giving it too someone in a better position, and his finishing was poor, was pretty gutted, wanted the underdogs to win tbh
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
21:11 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Public viewing time!!
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping to see a Khedira/Pirlo/Schweinsteiger sandwich tonight. Preferably with Pirlo stuck in the middle.
mich
mich
22:04 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
He went for the glory peno like Gerrard in 2005. Neither got to take their pen but in 05 I wasn't too fussed.

Not to fussed this time either. Had quite enough of his over dramatic free kick pose to last a lifetime so I'd hate to see what he'd do before taking a crucial peno. Whatta tart.

Spain fans all taunting him: 'Messi Messi Messi'. Bet a lot of them with Madrid fans too.

Looking forward to tomorrows game now, both even sides really, Germany should shade it I think because of the extra days rest and the fact they rested key players against Greece. Plus they are a slightly better side.

The amount of times the BEEB mention Ronaldo's name you would think they get £1m every time they say it. Also every time he touches the ball whether it is good or bad they feel the need to show a slow mo, even if he completely screws up then they just say "Well at least we know he is human" and do that rubbish fake laugh. Does my balls in.

Germany will smash Italy tonight me thinks, think they just have too much talent.
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:25 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
No chance. Italy are by far the better team. They have twice as much talent as Germany. It's like Man Utd vs Gateshead FC...

If Germany manage to beat Italy tonight, I'll cut off my genitals.
jack_pot
jack_pot
23:13 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I seem to have a knack with making jokes turn into reality.
Italy 1-0 up after 25 mins!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:24 Thu 28 Jun 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Super mario aye.
Pages: 11920
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Euro 2012!!!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sports Chat.
Back to Forum List.