Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Advice- factory settings

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:57 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I am about to do the factory thingy on my laptop, I have all my files i need saved on a pen drive, i know what ant virus i am going to download etc..
But what happens after i wipe everything with the factory thing, When i turn on my laptop after iy has gone with everything?
Will i have to treat it like a new laptop? Will i need a disk or out to get it up and going?
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
22:04 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
im just a newbie here but i think its like a reinstallation of your Operating Service (XP/Vista/Linux) so its like buying a new computer and lose everything, but if you got them saved on a USB stick then great as you keep all your documents on that stick and can drag them onto your system when its done.

real experts is jack_pot and spinner, they will be able to explain risks involved.

wish i could help more but its all info i can give you at present time
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:10 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes it will be like a new laptop. It will require setting up a brand new account like you do when you first buy a computer, and you will lose all files.
You don't need any disc to get it started, it will do it all for you in no time at all.
I suggest making a note of all software that you currently have that you would like to keep, so you can install them again once it's finished the restoration.

There isn't really any risks involved, just make sure you have definitely backed up all of the files you want to keep, because once you've restored to factory settings, there's no going back.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:12 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Cheers, So once i turn it back on it be just like a new laptop? having to connect to my router, etc?
Thanks guys, will do it in a bit!
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:14 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeh you will have to connect to your router again.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
22:24 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
one thing ive never know is how to actually do factory settings, can you put a link up jack, might help others if they don't know how
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:33 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
The way you go about it is dependant on both your computer make and model, and your operating system, so the best advice I can give is to just look around on google for a solution that fits you best.

If you're really stuck, you can ring up which ever company made your computer, tell them which model it is, and they'll be able to give step by step instructions.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:57 Tue 11 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Iii is ganna do it now! If i am not on next two days something has gone wrong!
Problem is to connect my router it is like a 14 digit random code and i had written on a bit of paper but i can't find that bit of paper! i am sure i will later though.,.

Thanks for help anyway.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Advice- factory settings

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.