Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:20 Sat 18 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
Can someone who knows anything about desktop computers please tell me what is the best graphics card to upgrade to, i have just ordered the following upgrade parts but have no idea about graphics:

1, Intel Core i7 3960X

2, WD BLACK WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200RPM

3, HP FX622AA RAM Module - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz - ECC - Registered
lewie
lewie
19:19 Sat 18 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
If you have a pool account go on and ask sr20_mick, good mate of mine and has helped me with any problems with my pc and laptop, great fella
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:27 Sat 18 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
cheers lewie
lewie
lewie
23:58 Sat 18 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
no probs mate x
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:30 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
bump!!!!!
lewie
lewie
01:47 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
what does that even mean
ill_be_there
ill_be_there
01:53 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
posting just so it is most recent thread so people will see it
lewie
lewie
01:54 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
oh okay :)
si123
si123
13:42 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
The best GFX Card you can probably buy is:

GeForce GTX 590 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Or:

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Both of these are going to set you back £600 though so not so cheap!

Also with your processor how much that set you back £800?

You should of gone all out and got the new:

Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz priced around £1,300 but it's probably the best thing you can buy!

But will be a nice PC set up when you've finished
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:58 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
Cheers Simon

1, Intel Core i7 3960X = £180

2, WD BLACK WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200RPM = £600

3, HP FX622AA RAM Module - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz - ECC - Registered = £999.99

I was just going to buy a gaming computer but I want the satisfaction of building one of the best computers money can buy .

Not only that it's a dell tower and dell are fantastic so I didn't really want to move away from it (its my baby ).
si123
si123
18:43 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
See I love my PC built it myself aswel, it's so much better than just buying a pre built 1 also I need to point out are you having water cooling or just multiple fans?

Because if you don't know how to install it yourself don't try just incase something goes wrong, also go to a shot that can cover with warrenty incase it goes wrong.
jack_pot
jack_pot
20:46 Sun 19 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
You're spending £600 on a HDD?? Mental...
Why not spend that amount on an SSD instead??

And £1000 for 8GB RAM?? I've got 16GB of Vengence RAM and that was less that £100. Don't just go for the highest priced parts.. You should give yourself a budget, do some research on what good parts generally cost, and then find parts that would suit you best. You can build an amazingly powerful gaming computer for £1,000 easy. I know it might seem nice to have the most expensive parts available, but you need to ask yourself, is it really necessary?? How much difference will there be in performance?? Can you get a similar build for even cheaper?? What could you spend the money you saved on, such as monitors, nice keyboard/mouse, etc...

The whole point of building your own is so that you're not getting ripped off by companies like Dell & Apple.

If I were you, I'd wait until Intel release their Ivy Bridge CPU's, or go for something like a 2700k Sandy Bridge (which is what I use, and it clocks at a decent 3.4Ghz without being overclocked).
I'd also get 2x1GB GFX cards and crossfire them. Also, go for 16GB(4x4GB) RAM, and if it's power you're after, make sure you get a case with a good amount of airflow, and consider water cooling.

Seriously though, just manage your money a little better. At the minute you're sounding a bit crazy with parts at those prices (unless you're a millionaire and can afford to be crazy?).
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:00 Mon 20 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
cheers jack_pot, I wish I was a millionaire, I think you may be onto something there mate thanks a lot, but what is this water cooling I have never heard of it before?
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:08 Mon 20 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
A water cooler can be used to keep the CPU cool.
Here's a little something I nicked off Wikipedia as it'll explain it better than I ever could:

"The advantages of using water cooling over air cooling include water's higher specific heat capacity, density, and thermal conductivity. This allows water to transmit heat over greater distances with much less volumetric flow and reduced temperature difference.
For cooling CPU cores its primary advantage is that its tremendously increased ability to transport heat away from source to a secondary cooling surface allows for large, more optimally designed radiators rather than small, inefficient fins mounted directly on the heat source.
The water jacket around an engine is also very effective at deadening mechanical noises, which makes the engine quieter. However, the primary disadvantage is that it costs significantly more than an air-cooled engine system."

To sum up, it's basically a better way of cooling your CPU, as opposed to air cooling. They're pretty straight forward to install as well. I recommend any from the Corsair series (I own the Corsair H60, which was I think around £65).
Another benefit is that it takes up less room in your case than a heat sink fan does, (sometimes, heat sink fans can prevent you from using some RAM modules, depending on their size, mostly when your RAM has heat spreaders).
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:25 Mon 20 Feb 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
You can also check out my thread I just made:
http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/8841/my-new-computer-build

Just in case you're interested in seeing what a water cooler looks like when it's installed.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.