Pages: 1910
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
23:55 Tue 5 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yay! Let's have another red-card discussion
mich
mich
11:27 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Going to try so hard not to be biased here...

I was first listening to the game driving home from work (yeah some of us have jobs Seb) and David Moyes was commentating, and he was so far up Uniteds rear end it was unbelievable. Anyway anyone who has ever listened BBC 5 Live will know how much a Pro United station it is anyway. But back to topic, David Moyes at first said it was a free kick to United after a very hard tackle on Nani by United (Seriously he said that). Then they said the ref was reaching to his pocket and there sounded like some confusion before what sounded like whimpering from both commentators when Nani was sent off.

Now I saw the challenge later when I got in, and at first glance I thought it was just a careless high foot and it was very harsh. From another angle it looks a lot more dangerous and like Nani actually pushes his foot into Arbeloa's ribs and pushes him away. But to be fair from most angles it looks what I think it may have been, an accident.

But this got me thinking about things Slur Alex has said in the past, and the main thing that comes to mind is...

When Ashely Williams kicked the ball and it "Could have killed" RVP. Which in Fergies eyes was a definite red.
If that is definite red then I don't see a case for why Nani's shouldn't have been.

There are many more cases I could bring up that have happened at Old Trafford or in United's favour.

Edited at 09:36 Wed 06/03/13 (GMT)
mich
mich
11:29 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Another example...

Ferguson said: "There is nothing in it. But what will happen, because it is Wayne Rooney, the press will raise a campaign to get him hung by Tuesday or electrocuted or something like that. It is unbelievable. Watch the press. It will be interesting to see it." On Rooney's deliberate elbow on James McCarthy Feb 27/28 2011.

'You want a fair ref,' fumed Ferguson on MUTV. 'I don't know how he got this game. When I saw who was refereeing it, I did fear the worst. It's been three years in a row now down here.' 2nd March 2011. On Mark Clattenburg's performance Man Utd vs Chelsea.

^^ All incidents are easy to locate on youtube from both games.

I would also like to raise a question...

If this was someone the media hated, would there be a big fuss or would they be calling them a thug or whatever for doing so?

Say Barton or Suarez made that challenge, and it was against United for example, it would be a COMPLETELY different story.

Don't try and tell me otherwise we all know it is true.

Edited at 09:58 Wed 06/03/13 (GMT)

Edited at 09:59 Wed 06/03/13 (GMT)
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:07 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm for the red card as well, although you can easily argue for just a yellow.
I just remember Eboue's challenge on some Man Utd. player that got him sent off a few years ago.
I also remember everyone berating Howard Webb for not sending off de Jong in the World Cup final for a similar challenge.

If both of those are or should be red, then this one is too.
Intent isn't really that important in the decision. It's whether the player used excessive force or was just reckless- that's interpretation and can be argued either way.

Anyway, if you come flying in with your foot that high, you're gambling a bit.

And yes to what mich said about if Suarez had done it- but Suarez is a dirtbag and deserves to get sent off.
mich
mich
14:32 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
You feeling okay Seb? Agreeing with me? on football...
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:35 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
well, finally you don't have ridiculous views on something
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:40 Wed 6 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm a magician:

Posted Image
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:36 Thu 7 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Dunno what all the fuss was about tbh. I said quite calmly to my Manc mate at the time that Nani was about to be sent off once he stopped pretending to be injured.

My mate went yep.

Then it all kicked off and Utd haven't stopped crying over it since. Now my mate has changed his tune after being told by all UK media outlets that Utd were robbed into thinking Utd were robbed and in retort I've given up with intelligent debate and taken to chanting Alvaro Arbeloa! Alvaro Arbeloa! Alvaro Arbeloa! and We've won it 5 times! over the top of his inane ramblings, which has worked as he seems to have moved on to looking ahead to Chelsea at weekend.

Time for the Rafa, Rafael, Rafael Benitez chants to begin! Someone has to support the fella!

Edited at 19:42 Thu 07/03/13 (GMT)
jack_pot
jack_pot
23:08 Thu 7 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Dunno what all the fuss was about tbh. I said quite calmly to my Manc mate at the time that Nani was about to be sent off once he stopped pretending to be injured.

My mate went yep.

Then it all kicked off and Utd haven't stopped crying over it since. Now my mate has changed his tune after being told by all UK media outlets that Utd were robbed into thinking Utd were robbed and in retort I've given up with intelligent debate and taken to chanting Alvaro Arbeloa! Alvaro Arbeloa! Alvaro Arbeloa! and We've won it 5 times! over the top of his inane ramblings, which has worked as he seems to have moved on to looking ahead to Chelsea at weekend.

Time for the Rafa, Rafael, Rafael Benitez chants to begin! Someone has to support the fella!

lol yeh i know right haha awesome totally cool
mich
mich
11:46 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Gareth Bale - Diver but the British press won't stop licking his backside and overlook his blatant cheating. Discus...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:21 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
On the Nani incident, when watching in real time and the commentators saying Nani will get a yellow here, I thought it could easily be right and was glad that the ref actually had the bottle to give it at Old Trafford.

The rules state a red card should be given when the challenge is reckless, dangerous, or uncontrolled. Putting his foot up that high was reckless with Arbeloa coming in, it was dangerous because he of where he hit and was lucky his foot wasn't a little higher otherwise he could have done serious damage. And he didnt show much control.

Can't see the argument against
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
14:16 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Gareth Bale - Diver but the British press won't stop licking his backside and overlook his blatant cheating. Discus...
True, but they do that with many British players. Remember Gerrard?
mich
mich
14:43 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeah I do, but Bale has now been booked 8 or 9 times (Something like that) in 2 seasons for diving. Surez has been booked 3 times for it I think, and although I don't condone it he gets a worse record for it, baffles me.
adam_147
adam_147
15:29 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  

I didnt know gareth bale threw the discus?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:22 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Diving is more his sport. Is that his 5th yellow for simulation this season?

At least Suarez admits he cheats!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:24 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  

My mate went yep.

As for you another chant "We forgot that you were here!"
jack_pot
jack_pot
19:24 Fri 8 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  

My mate went yep.

As for you another chant "We forgot that you were here!"

I don't get it?
mich
mich
16:11 Sat 9 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
"We forgot that you were here!"
"It's like being in Church."
"You should have stayed at a big club"

Wigan are having a great day out here lmao
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:07 Sat 9 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Everton wives, run for your lives!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:31 Fri 22 Mar 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Little old lady walking with two huge shopping bags. The handle breaks on one of the bags and her shopping falls all over the pavement. Someone shouts out from the Ewood offices "Can you manage love?" to which she shouted "Go away, I dont want the damn job!!"

Edited for unsuitable language

Edited by forum moderator baff, at 15:19 Fri 22/03/13 (GMT)
Pages: 1910
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Football results and reactions (4)

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sports Chat.
Back to Forum List.