01:00 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
adam_147 said:
ill show ya, 90% of people reading this know what i mean though

i no what ya mean m8
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:45 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
adam_147 said:
there definitely needs to be some changes with carom, with double ranking points in tourny matches the rankings are now a complete joke. the fact i can get to the top when i am by no means one of the best in the game says a lot.

The problem is that with games being only 5 points, it's very easy for a less good player to fluke a win with this new seemingly fashionable eyes closed approach to carom, where you aim for the side of the nearest ball and hope if you go far enough around the table you will hit the 2nd ball. This takes very little skill but can mean a player with no ability at all can beat someone who plays proper shots which are planned.

I think either the scaling for ranking should be reduced or games need to be made longer, this being much more important with ranked tournaments now. The longer a game is, the more likely it is that the better player will win. This is a fact, i can prove it to you if you wish but i am not posting that here!

And the cheat lag needs to be got rid of

Nothing else to be said, you said it all.

carom needs points increase...

Also just think of this... quite a few players hitting 10+ runs.
Which is double the 5 point frame limit !!

I dont know what else to say to convince you...

Oh well..
adam_147
adam_147
17:01 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
why are you surprised that the updates are rarely carom related? only one of the admin has ever made a 5 in carom and some of them have never even played , or havent played 30 games...

carom is hardly going to be a priority is it, unless enough people keep raising it here.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:04 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
You have a point :)

it doesnt have to be a priority tho, just the right game rules would be enough
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:05 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
double sorry
adam_147
adam_147
17:06 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
fuzzy_vox said:
You have a point :)

it doesnt have to be a priority tho, just the right game rules would be enough

isnt the actual game up to like 30 or something though??? maybe that should be implemented along with proper lag rules.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:09 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
dependes on the championship, but it surely NOT less than 15-20 !

if they want to keep it to 5, then they should at least put it on the proper table size, or smaller balls... this is way too easy for flukes, with the arcade balls....

lag rule is also one thing too, ye.
adam_147
adam_147
17:11 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
smaller balls would be awesome. having tried to play it with seb on the orig table, that actually does require some skill, and more than 3 or 4 cushions is impossible.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
17:12 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
lol outrageous that was.
adam_147
adam_147
17:17 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
maybe reg table would be a proper test of skill, not like it is now.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:02 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'd like to see Friendly games to 20 points too be honest, would be fun.
adam_147
adam_147
21:07 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
i would like to see all games up to 20 points, better test of skill and will stop the hit and hopers that are dominating the game, as would smaller balls.
destiny
destiny
21:15 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
adam_147 said:
i would like to see all games up to 20 points, better test of skill and will stop the hit and hopers that are dominating the game, as would smaller balls.

I think making the balls smaller is not good. It will be quiet depressing missing more shots and that would also have a reset of the stats as a result because for example me with 58% can hardly be beaten then.
I think the size should stay and a drop down box should show up.
In tournies im thinking of first to 2 in semis and final (with first to 5 points) or increase the number of sucess u need to get to 10
adam_147
adam_147
21:31 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
yes no-one would beat your 58%, but then in reality only fuzzy has any chance of that anyway. But the reason for that is because you two actually look to play proper shots where you could name before them how many cushions you will hit. With it being so easy to win with the huge balls and small point limit, it is encouraging players to just play by hitting and hoping, instead of actually learning the mechanics of the game. hence we won't get more players getting up to yours and fuzzy's level...
baff
baff
Admin
21:41 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Whilst there have been several posts on the amount of points required to win a game (including the very sensible suggestion of being able to choose e.g. 5,10,15 etc when creating a game), what are your opinions on the following:

Tournament games - 1st to 5 in the early rounds, then 1st to 10 in the semis and final?

This may not deter newbie caromers from entering a tournament, and should, in most cases, ensure that both players have decent chance of winning a semi/final (rather than have one player make a 5+ run more or less be assured of the win).
adam_147
adam_147
21:58 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
I would rather some system be put in place that would:

A) go further to ensure the better player won
B) try to encourage players to actually learn how to play the game

the current system doesnt do this.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:18 Sun 6 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Carom is growing in the game, and it's time to update the game to keep the crowd pleased.

IMO these need to be implemented.

- A drop down option box for how many points the game is won by.

- The tournament final is the only one which is to 1 frame, it needs to be at least 2 frames, or as Baff said, semis and finals have to be to a higher amount of points.

- The "cheat" lag has to be eradicated from the game, it is not within the game rules.

They are my main points, if anyone has any other points, please post !
skillz
skillz
00:31 Mon 7 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
boyler_lfc said:
Carom is growing in the game, and it's time to update the game to keep the crowd pleased.

IMO these need to be implemented.

- A drop down option box for how many points the game is won by.

- The tournament final is the only one which is to 1 frame, it needs to be at least 2 frames, or as Baff said, semis and finals have to be to a higher amount of points.

- The "cheat" lag has to be eradicated from the game, it is not within the game rules.

They are my main points, if anyone has any other points, please post !

I completely agree with all 3 of these points and at the moment i cant think of anything else that can be done to change it.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:45 Fri 18 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
11:38 Fri 18/02/11 Carom - fuzzy_vox got a run of 6 points
11:36 Fri 18/02/11 Carom - fuzzy_vox got a run of 6 points
11:33 Fri 18/02/11 Carom - fuzzy_vox got a run of 7 points
11:30 Fri 18/02/11 Carom - fuzzy_vox got a run of 5 points

4 frames in 8 minutes

plz change this 5 point thing, this really becomes a joke....
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:12 Fri 18 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Whilst I have a LOT of time for carom and enjoy playing it (and will admit I am neither as advanced nor as often playing as many names on here, fuzzy, adam, destiny, fate to name a few), I do not see changes as mandatory.

Surely keeping a degree of an unexpected or unpredictable nature in the game will not only prevent a monopoly but will attract people (like me) who enjoy games against 'better' players where they can test themselves, learn and potentially even cause an upset.

Playing up to let's take 20 (that seems to be a popular figure) could potentially take what... either 5 or 10 minutes for a game up to anything like 40 minutes. Do people really want to depending on standard of play spend so long playing when the result will more often than not be the same as otherwise.

Like I say I respect quality players (and others) in any game type but let's face it arcade is unquestionably the most popular game type on here... why? Because games are (generally) quick, fun and there is a degree of unpredicatability about the outcome, surely having this attraction in every game type, or at least not removing at least 2 out of those 3 characteristics will make the game better overall for every user not just those few who can put together 10+ runs etc.

That's my view anyway, carom is already a slight outsider of the 6 game types, most of the changes mentioned will only segregate it further as far as I can see.
Pages: 156
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Carom Points after new updates

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.