Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

EZR.me - URL Shortener

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:59 Sat 3 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I've added reCAPTCHA now. Works pretty nicely.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:37 Sat 3 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Its very clever all this i wish i could stuff like this, easy way of making a gentle bit of cash to you. :)
Have you made any other sites before and sold them off or this your first?

Who-ever commented on here saying they don't see the point, I wonder if people said that 2 the youtube creators or the facebook creators lol. Been negetive gets you no-were :)
si123
si123
17:48 Sat 3 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cue_power said:
What do you gain from this Jack?

I am nosey and I sort of only intend to do things when money is involved. Is the only profit through sponsers/advertisers?

I generally dont quite understand websites etc, some kid I use to know made a site blogging music where I use to write up about music and films... it took him years to make the website and when everything was running so well, he sold it. For £80.

I just dont quite understand it all Lol.

Maybe he is just an idiot, we only had like 50 views a day but about 200 comments and things a week.

Just ranting now..

Years to make the website? Thats immense

My first website www.games-genius.net started off with just a few reviews on games then slowly and surly the popularity of the website increased then we started reviewing absolutly everything that was involved with gaming just so people would have a 'bigger' variety of choice

A year and a half later I sold it for around £1,000 after it cost me £50/£100 with hosting, domains etc Then they offerd to sell it me back a year later for like £400 and I said no woohoo

Since 16 I have always made money from doing 'odd jobs' and websites is such a easy way of doing that espicially if you know what you are actually doing.

But back to EZR.com, this site can potentially be great just need people to start using it, have a play with the links just so you know how they work and in time it will proberbly be extremly usefull in the long run.
jack_pot
jack_pot
19:44 Sat 3 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
funkycarom said:
Its very clever all this i wish i could stuff like this, easy way of making a gentle bit of cash to you. :)

Who-ever commented on here saying they don't see the point, I wonder if people said that 2 the youtube creators or the facebook creators lol. Been negetive gets you no-were :)

I've sold other projects, the latest being www.g4mers.net
Also I plan on selling my site TalkGFX.net for around £200.

I also own:
http://www.comedyforums.net
http://www.ukdubstep.net
http://www.twimbo.net
http://www.fragma.me

However the only sites I'm working on at the minute are EZR, & Fragma.me.
jack_pot
jack_pot
19:22 Sun 4 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Any further comments on this guys? :)
si123
si123
03:55 Mon 5 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Could it all fit onto 1 page so you can eliminate the need to scroll down

I was looking at different ways of doing it but don't think either of them would be a good idea lol

Was thinking of the google thing everything you need in page view
jack_pot
jack_pot
15:24 Mon 5 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
si123 said:
Could it all fit onto 1 page so you can eliminate the need to scroll down

I was looking at different ways of doing it but don't think either of them would be a good idea lol

Was thinking of the google thing everything you need in page view

Yeh I'm working on a much cleaner design, similar to Google.
si123
si123
21:46 Mon 5 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
It's getting shorter on my larger monitor it's fine

But on the 17" you have to scroll just a very small tad

Also just something else

Instead of: Enter Long URL here

Could it be: Enter Original URL here

I know it's picky and make absolutly no difference, I just personally thought it sounds better hmmm

And something else I just noticed.

Instead of 'EZR - Your URL Shortening Service'

EZR - The URL Shortening Service

Hmm maybe not that 1 what do you think

That's my feedback but still looking good mate
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:32 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
funkycarom said:

I've sold other projects, the latest being www.g4mers.net
Also I plan on selling my site TalkGFX.net for around £200.

I also own:
http://www.comedyforums.net
http://www.ukdubstep.net
http://www.twimbo.net
http://www.fragma.me

However the only sites I'm working on at the minute are EZR, & Fragma.me.

How would you go about buying and/or selling websites? I have been working on a couple of sites recently (just to brush up on my design skills), so this is somthing I would be interested in when the time comes to move on to my next project.
jack_pot
jack_pot
12:48 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
http://www.forums.digitalpoint.com is a good place to start. It's a great community full of tips, techniques & helpful members who are all webmasters.

NameCheap is also a great site for managing your domains. It's easy to buy & sell domains there, it's cheap & I think most of the time you get free WhoIs on purchases.

Then you just want to think of a popular niche, for example, at the minute people are going crazy for domains with "3D" in them, because 3D is a very popular search term. Lets say for example you decided to buy the domain 3DTVs.com.. You can either work on it, get some good traffic, some quality dofollow backlinks, & then sell it on, or just try and sell the domain by itself, which in this case would probably fetch a hell of a lot of money.

Just do a bit of research, search for popular keywords, etc...

It's quite easy to be honest. I suppose the hard bit is getting high quality dofollow backlinks.

I got lucky with a couple of my domains, because I bought them for $10, and can sell them on for at least $50 without even doing any work to them.
si123
si123
18:28 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
That's exactly what I used to do Jack.

Also think of reality TV shows...

If you brought every finalist on xfactor if they are all available possibly 7 of them will go to waste but there will be ALOT of intrest in somebody buying it off you if you managed to land on the finalist (I think now though they get pre brought by the show before you have chance)

Also smurf, look for anything that you think will be the future can you think of the next invention before apple bring it out? Might get extremly lucky like the dude who owned i-tunes before apple wanted it and he sold that alone for a extremly ridiculous amount of money.

It's all about taking risks buying domains 80% of the time they may not sell but it only takes one good 1.

A few example are:

Insure.com - Sold for $16mil
Toys 'R' us brought Toys.com for $5mil

So as you can see if you drop on then your lucky also 3 letter domains are extremly popular my mate owns www.sy2.com and people are intrested not because of the name because of the length

Also I would recommend if you do want to do down the domain route put a little website on there so people can actually gain acess the more hits you can provide just means you can ask for more money.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:47 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Thanks guys. I'll look into your suggestions and see what ideas I can come up with.

At the moment Im working on improving an online diary site that I done as part of a college project. The ASP scripts all work perfectly, so it's just a matter of working on layouts, as our lecturer wanted us to focus on getting the back-end working.

May not be the best niche and there may already be tons of these sites, but I'll stick with it and see where it takes me
jack_pot
jack_pot
21:57 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cmurphy said:
Thanks guys. I'll look into your suggestions and see what ideas I can come up with.

At the moment Im working on improving an online diary site that I done as part of a college project. The ASP scripts all work perfectly, so it's just a matter of working on layouts, as our lecturer wanted us to focus on getting the back-end working.

May not be the best niche and there may already be tons of these sites, but I'll stick with it and see where it takes me

May I ask why you're coding in ASP rather than PHP?
I find ASP to be rather slow and clumsy. Also, it's annoying that coding in ASP requires a Microsoft Server.

Best of luck with your site anyway. If you need any help with anything just PM me.
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:00 Tue 6 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
si123 said:
That's exactly what I used to do Jack.

Also think of reality TV shows...

If you brought every finalist on xfactor if they are all available possibly 7 of them will go to waste but there will be ALOT of intrest in somebody buying it off you if you managed to land on the finalist (I think now though they get pre brought by the show before you have chance)

That's an awesome idea! Gotta try that one out! :D
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:57 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
cmurphy said:

May I ask why you're coding in ASP rather than PHP?
I find ASP to be rather slow and clumsy. Also, it's annoying that coding in ASP requires a Microsoft Server.

Best of luck with your site anyway. If you need any help with anything just PM me.

We were taught ASP at college and the diary was part of our final exam.

I've started doing the PHP scripts as I couldn't get ASP to work on my WAMP Server to test it

Do you sell your webites on flippa.com or somewhere else?

Edited at 05:33 Wed 07/09/11 (BST)
si123
si123
08:56 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I sell my websites usually private, or approach people who I know will be intrested in whatever I am selling at the time, but there are alot of sites that you can use to sell things!

Also PHP <3
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:58 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Surprisingly, I never really got into PHP until 2 years after college when a paranormal organisation asked me to do an emergency site after their old one got hacked. Also playing about with Joomla helped too
si123
si123
17:59 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I have got a new domain in mind....

Just looked and nobody has brought it and I think with the correct marketing it potentially might be worth a few £

When I buy it will let you all know what it is
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:48 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Can anyone suggest a programme to use to make a website?

Preferbally for a forum.

Edited at 17:55 Wed 07/09/11 (BST)
si123
si123
21:28 Wed 7 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
PHPBB

Go to www.phpbb.com it's all free have a look see :)
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

EZR.me - URL Shortener

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.