Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

EZR.me - URL Shortener

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
jack_pot
jack_pot
22:56 Mon 29 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Posted Image

EZR is a new project that I've decided to set up. The main purpose being to make URL's "E-Z-R" to remember, use & share across the internet.

It's still in its early stages, and I do plan on totally redesigning the layout at some point, however I would like some feedback on how it looks so far.

Link: http://www.ezr.me

Cheers!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:37 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Looks great so far, very proffesional. Works well too, just wondering what's to stop someone saying the website is something when it's something else?
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:24 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
sean_paul said:
Looks great so far, very proffesional. Works well too, just wondering what's to stop someone saying the website is something when it's something else?

What do you mean by that? The links are shortened through using my domain ezr.me, so adding Facebook as the alias for example doesn't make it a Facebook link.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:34 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
sean_paul said:

What do you mean by that? The links are shortened through using my domain ezr.me, so adding Facebook as the alias for example doesn't make it a Facebook link.

Can you send these links to others?

Edited at 23:51 Mon 29/08/11 (BST)
jack_pot
jack_pot
03:07 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes. For example, if I wanted to share the URL of this thread:

http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/8383/ezr-me-url-shortener

Then I could shorten it to:

http://ezr.me/FS
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:11 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah so say i shortened something, said it was another website when it was something else the person wouldnt know. Just saying that it could easily be exploited, other than that it's a very handy website!
si123
si123
01:59 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Fragma.me also yours Jack? (If so I would not advertise it untill it's complete)

But I like the idea behind this site, can see it being quite popular when it starts to get known intreaging!

But yeah very professional and no junk on it either I love a straight to the point website
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:23 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
si123 said:
Fragma.me also yours Jack? (If so I would not advertise it untill it's complete)

But I like the idea behind this site, can see it being quite popular when it starts to get known intreaging!

But yeah very professional and no junk on it either I love a straight to the point website

Yeh Fragma.me is also mine. I'm not really advertising that yet, just adding a few backlinks here and there.

Thanks for the feedback!
cue_power
cue_power
13:49 Thu 1 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
What do you gain from this Jack?

I am nosey and I sort of only intend to do things when money is involved. Is the only profit through sponsers/advertisers?

I generally dont quite understand websites etc, some kid I use to know made a site blogging music where I use to write up about music and films... it took him years to make the website and when everything was running so well, he sold it. For £80.

I just dont quite understand it all Lol.

Maybe he is just an idiot, we only had like 50 views a day but about 200 comments and things a week.

Just ranting now..
jack_pot
jack_pot
15:32 Thu 1 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cue_power said:
What do you gain from this Jack?

I am nosey and I sort of only intend to do things when money is involved. Is the only profit through sponsers/advertisers?

I generally dont quite understand websites etc, some kid I use to know made a site blogging music where I use to write up about music and films... it took him years to make the website and when everything was running so well, he sold it. For £80.

I just dont quite understand it all Lol.

Maybe he is just an idiot, we only had like 50 views a day but about 200 comments and things a week.

Just ranting now..

In that case, he got ripped off big time lol.

I get money through advertising. In the future I hope to set up a pay per click system for users. So they will be able to register an account, and when somebody clicks a link that they create, they'll get around £0.002, which would mean for every 1000 clicks, they get £2. When somebody clicks their link however, an advert will be shown, so I will be gaining profit from every clicked link through advertising.

I plan on basically getting this site a little well known, getting lots of traffic, lots of backlinks, and then once I'm around PR4/5 I will sell it.
jack_pot
jack_pot
15:34 Thu 1 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Oh, and if you guys feel like being really amazing, you could tell your mates about this site.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:47 Thu 1 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Haha EZR sounds like easier I get it now
jack_pot
jack_pot
23:54 Thu 1 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
__jayy__ said:
Haha EZR sounds like easier I get it now

Lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:08 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I was one of the lads that invented youtube
cue_power
cue_power
11:58 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Not bad Nicki, seeing as you would of only been around 9 years old
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:50 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
no offense but i cant see the point in it
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:40 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
_nut_case_ said:

I imagine the point is that it makes Jack money and is an alternative to using TinyUrl/Tiny9/Bit.ly et al that are becoming increasing popular so that URLs don't get truncated in emails etc. and short URLs are easier to tweet and share.
jack_pot
jack_pot
18:46 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
buddytobud said:
_nut_case_ said:

I imagine the point is that it makes Jack money and is an alternative to using TinyUrl/Tiny9/Bit.ly et al that are becoming increasing popular so that URLs don't get truncated in emails etc. and short URLs are easier to tweet and share.

Yep you pretty much summed it up nicely there.

A lot of social websites these days have character limits, much like Funky Snooker has. If you were making a post/tweet whatever, which included sharing links, you wouldn't want those links to use up valuable characters.
Shortening the URL solves this problem.
It also makes it easier to share links through SMS, and other various social mediums.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:11 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Hope it goes well for you and catches on as it is a big market (despite there being a lot of competition) so it has the potential for being a money spinner for very little effort (never a bad thing).

I'm not sure the 'money for users' part would help the cause much as it may well put people off having adverts popping up (due to the potential for, shall we say, 'undesirable' adverts).

Also, I would recommend using reCAPTCHA - not only because of the anti-bot side but also it helps in the digitising of books and magazines.
jack_pot
jack_pot
19:50 Fri 2 Sep 11 (BST)  [Link]  
buddytobud said:
Hope it goes well for you and catches on as it is a big market (despite there being a lot of competition) so it has the potential for being a money spinner for very little effort (never a bad thing).

I'm not sure the 'money for users' part would help the cause much as it may well put people off having adverts popping up (due to the potential for, shall we say, 'undesirable' adverts).

Also, I would recommend using reCAPTCHA - not only because of the anti-bot side but also it helps in the digitising of books and magazines.

The "money for users" idea was based off the website www.adf.ly which has actually become very successful, although they target a slightly different audience to your standard URL shortening companies. It's something to think about anyway.

Also I'm already in the process of sorting out an reCAPTCHA system.

Thanks for your feedback!
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

EZR.me - URL Shortener

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.