Power snooker Breaks, 300 possible?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to General Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:44 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I have been asked many times 'what is the highest possible power snooker break'. I have had many people doubt that my 250+ target is even possible and likewise I've had people tell me that 300+ is achievable...

So what's the right answer and how does it work? I have put together a spreadsheet below to show a breakdown of what I think is possible under different scenarios.

The qty's within each point multiplier is based on my experience of table layout scenarios and average ball travel duration (based on the qty of shots that will have to travel the full length of the table to return to behind the bulk line (power zone) to gain maximum point multiplier).

My current strategy is to take the power ball as the 3rd from last red and pot 3 x quadruple point pink/blacks and all of the colours during the power ball period. I take the yellow and green outside of the power zone to decrease shot alignment and spin application time to create enough time to pot the 3 reds and pink/blacks within the 1.5 min power timer. On top of that I aim to take all colours before the power timer as double points. If this system goes perfectly 250-260 points would be achievable, this is where my target comes from.

Theoretically it is possible to achieve a bigger break by taking the power ball as the 1st/2md red, however this is a much more difficult scenario because the ball travel time, shot alignment time and spin application times all increase.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:44 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
To make a 250+ break with the early power ball strategy would rely on an incredible amount of luck and an incredibly good split of reds. The majority of reds will need to be taken to the center pockets to reduce white travel distance to power zone. All in all I believe that this strategy is inferior for large breaks, despite being potentially more fruitful.

The answer to the 300+ question has got to be yes... It can be done, but I can tell you that it never will. Even a robot that would eliminate spin application and shot alignment times would struggle to make a 300+. I assure you no human will be making a 300+.

Anyone that isn't asleep now and is still reading gets a round of applauds...

Posted Image
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
15:07 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Completely agree with you here.
I think 250 is achievable, 300 is impossible.

Most 200+ breaks are achieved doing exactly what you said above- taking power ball when 3 reds remain and quadrupling from there with the exception of yellow, green, and often brown.

However, with a lovely split, I think taking the power ball early and getting 5 or 6 quadruples might even hold a higher potential for the 250 (which you also found in your tables above). But it's certainly much harder to do.
I've hit about 6 or 7 200+ breaks. My highest one (208) is the only one where I took the power ball earlier and got about 4 quadruple blacks.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:38 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Hmm yer 250 is defo possible.. on my 163 break i had 1 red left and 39 seconds left on the power clock. the red was in bulk already so and easy tap in then 28 points for the black. so if i was quick at clearing and took the blue,pink,black from the powerzone then i would of hit a 282 break.. thats only if i potted the last 3 colours from the powerzone and on time..

EDIT..
but stupid old me rattled the red..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:45 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I also forgot to mention which helped alot is at start of the frame there was alot of safety played from behind the black which ment 5-6 reds were already up around the powerzone..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:03 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Impressive stuff. Here's a breakdown of how your break must have looked...

Posted Image

To have 39 seconds on the clock remaining after potting 8 balls or more is awesome stuff. I suspect the best you could have realistically hoped for is 246, based on the assumption you would have only had enough time to pot another 5/6 balls (maintaining your current speed) and you achieved quad points on those tricky yellow, green and brown balls.

I'm not trying to put your achievement down, just highlight how tough this really is.

Edited at 13:08 Tue 10/07/12 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:28 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
However, with a lovely split, I think taking the power ball early and getting 5 or 6 quadruples might even hold a higher potential for the 250 (which you also found in your tables above). But it's certainly much harder to do.
I've hit about 6 or 7 200+ breaks. My highest one (208) is the only one where I took the power ball earlier and got about 4 quadruple blacks.

You might be right, i've broken it down below.

Posted Image

Looking at this I think that attempts are best made dependent on the split, navigating angles around the open reds and avoiding colours to get into the powerzone is tough normally, under the pressure of time it will be really tough... but I agree that if the reds are positioned well it would be the best approach.

I too have made 200's with both methods, last nights break was made with only 3x quad point blacks including the one at the end of the colours, it was a genuine chance at 243 but as we both know, its so so difficult to get every shot inch perfect.

Edited at 13:48 Tue 10/07/12 (BST)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
18:36 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
interesting, i think 300 is impossible too, 250+ just about manageable, its all about that 90 second powerplay is it enough to get 300? doubt it.

even destiny is too much of a tortoise with his shooting not to get it

there you go i_am_beast
i_am_beast
i_am_beast
18:38 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I'll get it then, if you want something doing you gotta DIY
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
18:40 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
I'll get it then, if you want something doing you gotta DIY

tbh id rather watch paint dry

good luck anyway
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:24 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Impressive stuff. Here's a breakdown of how your break must have looked...

Posted Image

To have 39 seconds on the clock remaining after potting 8 balls or more is awesome stuff. I suspect the best you could have realistically hoped for is 246, based on the assumption you would have only had enough time to pot another 5/6 balls (maintaining your current speed) and you achieved quad points on those tricky yellow, green and brown balls.

I'm not trying to put your achievement down, just highlight how tough this really is.

Edited at 13:08 Tue 10/07/12 (BST)

Yer 246 is a more realistic. I just did it on if I could pot them all in 39 seconds which would of been more difficult then potting the reds and blacks. Think I saved a lot of time with the reds already been up around the powerzone and only a couple of shots needed spin applying due to having natural angle from black 90% of the time. I probably won't get a better chance ever at attempting it as I was play a 650 rank guy who couldn't pot a thing. One of the reason why I tapped so many reds up to the powerzone.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:14 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Sounds like a good technique, one of the main reasons I like to play dgeneratio
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:33 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
i will give u a few frames sometime im not too good just lately tho..lol
mrmagic
mrmagic
Admin
22:38 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Reds around the middles is deffo the way forward. Saves so much time when you're on the powerplay. Smashing the back of the reds on the break works a treat.....if you land on a red to start with!! I hardly use the break off like that now because i can only seem to land on a pottable red maybe 1 in 5! Think my highest possible was 240 odd. Missed the powerzone/play pink off it's spot on high 190 something with 20 seconds left on the pp.
250 is gettable if you're quick enough...not sure 300 is though

Edited at 19:42 Tue 10/07/12 (BST)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:07 Tue 10 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Reds around the middles is deffo the way forward. Saves so much time when you're on the powerplay. Smashing the back of the reds on the break works a treat.....if you land on a red to start with!!

tables normally perfect if i do this either for me or opponent as slatty saw i used this break potted red, everything was perfect BUT 2 balls didn't hit cushions so have to watch for that too
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:10 Wed 11 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  

Im trying to hard now to do it and missing stupid shots..

Edited at 13:49 Wed 11/07/12 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:36 Wed 11 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
LOL you haven't even made a cent today
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:46 Wed 11 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
i know keep trying to get into powerzone early and end up behind a bulk colour and missing brown to middle..lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:54 Wed 11 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
Yup, My aim from the first red is to hit the yellow half ball and knock it off the spot and leave white in bulk area... rarely happens but makes it sooo much easier.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
17:07 Wed 11 Jul 12 (BST)  [Link]  
also the green
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Power snooker Breaks, 300 possible?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to General Chat.
Back to Forum List.