Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Do You Think Your Computer Is Infected?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
jack_pot
jack_pot
20:17 Tue 16 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
First things first, if you haven't already, choose and install an Anti-Virus software. If you're not sure which Anti-Virus to go for, here are 2 small lists, (free software & paid software).

Note: Do not have more than one Anti-Virus installed on your computer!

Freeware:
- Avira
- AVG
- Avast

Paid Software:
- Kaspersky
- ESET Smart Security
- Norton
- McAfee

(I use AVG and it has been excellent).

Once you have installed your chosen Anti-Virus, run a full system scan and remove any files that have been detected as being malicious.

If you still believe you're computer may be infected, click the below spoiler for futher advice.

Ok so you've ran a scan using your Anti-Virus and you're still having trouble..
There are 2 steps I recommend..

Firstly
Download CCleaner. This is a fantastic application which get rid of all your unused/unwated files, (browser cookies, temporary files, browser history, etc..) aswell as allowing you to fix any issues with your registry.

Secondly
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This program pretty much picks up any malware that you may have on your computer.
I had a friend that thought he was infected once, I told him about this application, he ran a full scan, and found someone was watching his every move through a Remote Administration Tool, he was able to remove it safely.
jack_pot
jack_pot
20:18 Tue 16 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hope this information is useful.

Thanks, Jack.

Edited at 18:23 Tue 16/11/10 (GMT)
eemad
eemad
20:52 Tue 16 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
I've got full AVG (not the free version) and never had any problem. Does the trick.
jack_pot
jack_pot
20:59 Tue 16 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ye, as a basic Anti-Virus, the full version and the free version do the same thing. But if people want more security options then the full version is great.
greatest
greatest
21:22 Tue 16 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
also use piriform c cleaner
cue_power
cue_power
00:11 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
eemad said:
I've got full AVG (not the free version) and never had any problem. Does the trick.

Tu'shay!

Doesn't prevent greatest posting however, shame.
eemad
eemad
00:12 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
cue_power said:
eemad said:

Tu'shay!

Doesn't prevent greatest posting however, shame.

You obviously haven't found that box then to tick in the options Derry?
cue_power
cue_power
00:15 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Haha!

Only if Carlsberg did anti-virus
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:44 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Always had Norton, might not be the cheapest, but you know what they say, pay more for better things...

I run a full system scan every month and all I ever get is a tracking cookie from an email, other than that, Norton's firewall is brilliant and well worth the money
jack_pot
jack_pot
16:45 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
I find Norton a nightmare.

@greatest

I mentioned CCleaner in the spoiler.
si123
si123
16:46 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
I don't use a anti virus as I think I can do the exact same job with removing them myself but the best one on the market for me is

Obviously AVG its good its always updating and it's free for aslong as you want it (Definatly best to have)

Norton do not buy it's definatly not the best on the market I found out you dont achive the same standard as some others

Kaspersky is most proberbly the best you can buy from the list you mentioned as this is pretty much on top of everything you need

Also for ESET I would go for ESET NOD32 it is cheaper to buy for the year and most proberbly does the same quality job as ESET Smart Security

3 years of computer security/netowring and programming you can pretty much keep your own computer safe and you never need to have a anti virus or a firewall on so it's much easier and cheaper

NOTE: Here a good program every computer should have:

SpyBot Search and Destroy (Keeps your computer free of mailware/spyware and this really doesa good job)

Edited at 14:49 Wed 17/11/10 (GMT)
jack_pot
jack_pot
16:49 Wed 17 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeh I've actually never had a virus before because I'm careful with what I do online, but I do have the software needed just in case.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:46 Thu 18 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
I have used CCleaner / Norton / AVG & Spybot and none of them worked!

CCleaner did the equivelent job as going to internet options and deleting history and cookies.

Norton & AVG searched and searched for viruses when I knew they were there but they never found them, only found tracking cookies and a few trojans. Never fixed the problem though.

Search and destroy was actually fairly good, it removed some stuff before for me and made my computer usable again but i was still infected afterwards and had to have my whole harddisk wiped to fixed the problem.
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:00 Thu 18 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
g_echo_l said:
I have used CCleaner / Norton / AVG & Spybot and none of them worked!

CCleaner did the equivelent job as going to internet options and deleting history and cookies.

Norton & AVG searched and searched for viruses when I knew they were there but they never found them, only found tracking cookies and a few trojans. Never fixed the problem though.

Search and destroy was actually fairly good, it removed some stuff before for me and made my computer usable again but i was still infected afterwards and had to have my whole harddisk wiped to fixed the problem.

What was the problem in the end?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:07 Thu 18 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Every time I was on the computer about 50 tabs would open with all different sites. Didnt matter if I was online or not internet windows would constantly open.

A friend of mine wiped the harddisk completely and reinstalled everything from scratch for me and havnt had a problem since.
i_am_god
i_am_god
12:28 Thu 18 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Right lads i want some help with this.

i want to basically get my laptop running the best it can.

ive uninstalled a few things, norton and mcafee, what should i do next!!
jack_pot
jack_pot
14:16 Thu 18 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
i_am_god said:

Download and run CCleaner. This will get rid of a lot of unwanted stuff and free up some space.
Once on CCleaner, you can also uninstall programs. Get rid of the programs you don't need or want.

Defrag your hard drive..

- Click Start
- Run
- Type: Dfrg.msc and click ok.
- Select your main Drive or "Volume" (usually C)
- Click Defragment

This can take a while so you might want to leave it overnight.

Finally you can reduce the number of start-up programs you have.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:13 Sun 13 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
i_am_god said:

You cant artificially make it quicker by removing programs, unless you're thinking of a clean installation of an operating system.

Stuff like disk defragmenting are a temporary fix- hence why you need to keep doing it (depending on how much you use your computer).

Else its time to upgrade hardware.

Why isnt there a mention of Windows defender in this thread?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:33 Sun 13 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Kaspersky ftw my dad gets a discount
spinner
spinner
Admin
18:24 Mon 14 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
si123 said:
Norton do not buy it's definatly not the best on the market I found out you dont achive the same standard as some others

Absolutely. I regularly use AVG free at work to clean up computers supposedly "protected" by Norton.

I use AVG and nothing else. Don't forget the impact all these programs have on performance. Making sure your updates run regularly so each months malware removal tool runs while avoiding the likes of firefox should be enough to keep any system clean, but of course it always depends on what you're doing with it.
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Do You Think Your Computer Is Infected?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.