Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Do You Think Your Computer Is Infected?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 12
cue_power
cue_power
19:46 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I was going to do this originally but my computer is pretty old, it has loads of important files and everything on it and I've had it fixed twice just because I love it? Lol.

I just system restored it, now I can't get onto the internet lol. I use a belkin wireless router, and its not picking up 'any' network connections. It has also restored everything I have ever removed lol..

How do I get back on the net guys :(

Computer was asking me loads of questions to connect to the internet but via microsoft, so I skipped it... Is that important? I just figured I could latch onto my wi-fi like normal?...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:52 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
have you gone into safe mode? if so i think if you restart your computer and hold down 'f8' there is an option either to return to normal mode or to go to 'safe mode with networking'
cue_power
cue_power
20:10 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't think its in safe mode, nothing is restricted.

I'm actually raging, wish I never restored it, lost limewire
cue_power
cue_power
20:33 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Right, everything is on there, just all hidden. I have recovered Limewire whew! <3.

Now just need to figure how to conect to the internet. I have virgin media interent, and belkin wireless router that goes in my usb etc etc...

Belkin loads but there is nothing on it, because I restored the computer I've had to delete like AOL etc and lots of other crap. I don't have the belkin disk, I hope that's not important... But its already installed so... Just need to figure how to locate my internet?

Any help guys?

Computer seems virus free now and is actuallu a lot faster. Thanks for helping with that everyone
jack_pot
jack_pot
20:46 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Download Malwarebytes Anti Malware again and run a quick scan just in case there is anything still floating around. (It's a good program to keep on your computer).

As for locating your internet, I would contact your internet service provider and tell them the problem you're having.
cue_power
cue_power
20:54 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Malware won't open. - Run-time error '0' Run-time Error '440'.

And can't reinstall it due to... Having no internet :p. My wireless is working fine... As I'm on my phone using my internet and my routers work fine, I'm sure I have to initiate my connection I just forgotton how I do it Lol
crazy_dave
crazy_dave
21:31 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Try resetting the router, sometimes depending on the model you can type in 192.168.1.1 on the internet explorer home page, clear all the http: etc. But in the details and this should restart the router. Before trying this thou i would load the disk back onto your PC/Laptop first! It may have been wiped when re-booting!

Are all the lights working on the router!

Edited at 20:01 Fri 06/05/11 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:33 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Also derry.....WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH LIMWIRE!!????

This is probably the sole cause of all of this!
jack_pot
jack_pot
21:47 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeh I don't recommend using Limewire unless you really know what you're doing when it comes to viruses & files.

What do you use it for? I would recommend some alternatives but I'd probably be breaking the forum rules.
cue_power
cue_power
23:10 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Well we have the modem downstairs on that computer and my computer doesn't have Wi-fi but all 4 of our laptops do so for my computer I have a belkin plug in wireless router thing lol. The main modem is working for wireless as the laptops and phone is picking up the signal and my belkin router is flashing green singalling that its working.

I don't actually have the disc for the router Dave, so I can't reinstall it which is a killer bcoz I think that would sort the problem. I will try the other suggestion now.

Limewire is perfectly fine when you know how to use it. As long as your not sharing files then you dont really get any problems. Also I have the non-updated version which not many people use, which is great bcoz the songs are still updated on this version but its different from the newer version, which is where all the hacks and virUses are. I've had lime for around 6 years, not had one problem.
jack_pot
jack_pot
23:23 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cue_power said:
Well we have the modem downstairs on that computer and my computer doesn't have Wi-fi but all 4 of our laptops do so for my computer I have a belkin plug in wireless router thing lol. The main modem is working for wireless as the laptops and phone is picking up the signal and my belkin router is flashing green singalling that its working.

I don't actually have the disc for the router Dave, so I can't reinstall it which is a killer bcoz I think that would sort the problem. I will try the other suggestion now.

Limewire is perfectly fine when you know how to use it. As long as your not sharing files then you dont really get any problems. Also I have the non-updated version which not many people use, which is great bcoz the songs are still updated on this version but its different from the newer version, which is where all the hacks and virUses are. I've had lime for around 6 years, not had one problem.

Not one problem? You said that you found 372 serious threats when running a malware scan...
There are safer and easier to use alternatives to Limewire.
Also having a non-updated version makes you even more vulnerable to viruses. Part of the software updates include patches which prevent people from doing anything dodgy.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:32 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
well once i downloaded a music file which turned out to be a trojan (from limewire), soon as i saw i used AVG/spy bot search and destroy to get rid of it then un installed limewire straight away.

other things like these include torrent sites.
crazy_dave
crazy_dave
23:39 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Derry try this as i suggested! Link below and press the restore previous settings!

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26/~/restoring-your-router-using-a-backup-file

Good luck mate

jack_pot
jack_pot
23:57 Fri 6 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
well once i downloaded a music file which turned out to be a trojan (from limewire), soon as i saw i used AVG/spy bot search and destroy to get rid of it then un installed limewire straight away.

other things like these include torrent sites.

Torrent sites are easier to be safe with though. They often have reviews and you can see how popular they are, so if they're popular with good reviews, then you know the chances are it's a safe download.
cue_power
cue_power
05:54 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Urgh, just been speaking to my pal who did the system restore... And he actually did a system recovery. I've just checked and they are both very different!

So the computer has recovered everything from ages ago, years. Is this irriverseible? And does it make any difference! Lol. I just want to get on the bloody internet! Why is it so difficult! Wire less is working in my house and I have the wireless router plugged in but nothing is happening still

Its frustrating the life out of me, its weird how something like this can cause so much anger. I have broken so many things already and its only been a fricking day!!
fastboysam
fastboysam
Admin
10:51 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
best man for a job like this is spinner. message him mate, he'll sort it!
adam_147
adam_147
13:52 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a problem I've got. My laptop turned itself off then on again, got to the black screen with white writing on, just said 'boot from ahci cd Rom' and froze. I can't boot in safe mode and the recovery page is blocked so I can't restore to factory settings. Only thing I can get is the BIOS screen lol. And I don't have a recovery disc.

This has beaten me, the man at comet and the comet repair centre, but I know there are clever people on this site...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:09 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
That's one hell of a problem there Adam!

How old is the laptop?
adam_147
adam_147
19:29 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
A year and a bit. Comet wrote it off but I'm not believing them if someone here has a solution lol...
fastboysam
fastboysam
Admin
20:22 Sat 7 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Check the boot order of the HD and SDD. If your HD and/or SDD can be seen in the BIOs then it is hopefully just a setting problem.
Pages: 12
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Do You Think Your Computer Is Infected?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.