Premium accounts
are only £9.99 - Upgrade now

Computing Problems

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
tobo_
tobo_
03:26 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Can anyone help me with this..

Basically, my Laptop doesn't turn off...
I've got to take out the battery, or emergency turn-off it to shut it down..

All the power settings are to turn off if I press the button, or shut the lid, it should hibernate, but it won't do that!

What happens is that the laptop restarts, and then just stays on once it restarts, waiting for me to put in my password...

I've tried looking on the HP help for my laptop, and i've updated the bios and everything.. but nothings changed D:!

Help would be appreciated
si123
si123
22:12 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Try it this way

Start > Run > (type) CMD

Then when the CMD box aperars type 'shutdown /s'

That will shut it down after 10 seconds just see if it does it the exactly same way no matter how you shut it down

After you try this i'm going 'assume' it will work then can try and work out why it happens when you do a normal shutdown

jack_pot
jack_pot
23:02 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Also if you want you could just make a batch file which will act as a shutdown button running the code Si just said above, meaning you won't have to remember the code for it and type it in all of the time. That's assuming using CMD works for you.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:21 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
i did it at college, had shutdown 1 sec, 10 sec, 60 sec, shutdown abort.
jack_pot
jack_pot
23:36 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:

You can set the shutdown to whatever time you want.
tobo_
tobo_
00:56 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
You see.. I would do that.. but.. my forward slash button doesn't work... -.-
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:08 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
dgeneratio said:

You can set the shutdown to whatever time you want.

whats what i did, we had fun shutting computers down in the room, a mate set my computer to shut down in a second which i aborted, then he put 0 secs so i had no chance, good times
jack_pot
jack_pot
01:20 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
tobo_ said:
You see.. I would do that.. but.. my forward slash button doesn't work... -.-

Copy & paste?
tobo_
tobo_
01:49 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Tried that, it's what I'm using for that button right now, and when I used it on the CMD process thingy, it didn't work
jack_pot
jack_pot
02:02 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
You have to right click and paste into the CMD.

Or, open Notepad, paste: shutdown -f -s
Then when you save it, select All Files in the drop down, and save it out with a .bat extension, for example "shutdown.bat"

When you click the file your computer should shutdown.
tobo_
tobo_
12:22 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Could this be done for a hibernate or sleep mode as well?
jack_pot
jack_pot
14:59 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
To hibernate, type:
shutdown /h

To sleep type:
Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
si123
si123
22:33 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
tobo_, have you tried these methods and do they seem to be working?
tobo_
tobo_
23:28 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I've tried the shutdown one, and that worked
cue_power
cue_power
11:39 Wed 26 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Wahay.

Right, I've just downloaded bearshare... haha!

Nah its crap, really rubbish tbh, doesnt compete with limewire but after my computer got wiped I lost Limewire 3.4 which was completely safe. I no nobody believes this but its true...

Anyway, BearShare has moved in with me. When I search through Firefox or IE... im searching with a little bear picture, instead of the firefox flame thing.

Took me ages to make it change back to searching google... but thats done but I cant get rid of the Bearshare search engine or change it back.

Also, with BearShare... I get these "Hi babe, want to see me naked, I will do anything just visit _____" - In a msn style message.

Its through bearshare so is there anyway I can prevent this? Lol. Its just irritating... when I click X on it, it tries downling a song... very irritating indeed!

Also - When I try to edit or quote a post... Bearshare deletes all the contents of the post =\. Thats annoying too!
si123
si123
19:42 Wed 26 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Just get rid of bearshare, it's not exactly the most 'user friendly' thing to have on the PC and as you have already noticed it will cause more problem than it solves.

Go with Frostwire, it's opensource and it's all completly free, Obviously you should not be using these product if you don't know what you are doing as you are just opening a door to a world of fake files/Virus's so always make sure you got a upto date Antivirus (I don't use 1 as I can look after my PC myself but I would recommend AVG)

And on a final note Limewire is never safe, nor is any torrent/download site. There is always going to be a 'bad' file on therre just your lucky enough not to have opened one Yet!

Also go for something like download 'UTorrent' and then use websites like torrentreactor etc atleast they all have reviews and a rating system to how good they actually are abit slower for songs but the best for films
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
19:28 Sat 29 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
My problem has evolved.
My laptop won't boot up. If I press the power button, the fan starts working, the lights turn on, the screen stays black, the disc DOES NOT start up. caps and scroll lock flashing every 2 seconds (no pattern).

Googled the problem and tried some of their solutions- reseated the memory, reseated the disc drive, power cycles, etc.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
tobo_
tobo_
18:31 Mon 31 Oct 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
si123 said:
Try it this way

Start > Run > (type) CMD

Then when the CMD box aperars type 'shutdown /s'

That will shut it down after 10 seconds just see if it does it the exactly same way no matter how you shut it down

After you try this i'm going 'assume' it will work then can try and work out why it happens when you do a normal shutdown

Right.. This has stopped working for me!

It just shuts down the user interface, and just has the blue Windows 7 "Shutting Down" page, and it just doesn't shut down, it stays on that screen forever if I have the cable plugged in, and if the cable is removed, then it will stay on until the battery runs dry D: !
adam_147
adam_147
05:05 Fri 4 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Simplest solution... save everything you need, take out an insurance policy, take it to a shop, if they say its dead then claim on insurance and get a brand new laptop for 80 quid or whatever the insurance costs + postage.
si123
si123
16:05 Fri 4 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Or you could actually get a new Solution towards this lol

There has got to be something i'm just curious to myself of what it could actually be.

Why did CMD Shutdown work but not now? Why won't it shut down correct in the first place?

Do me a favour

Start > Run > Cmd

Type in 'Shutdown /t 30' This will shutdown the PC in 30 seconds oposed to straight away you can set the time anything from 0> to <10 years

But the more options we try then more chance we have got of solving this issue

Also did you try the .bat file mentioned by Jack_pot previously?
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Computing Problems

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Computer, Internet and Console chat.
Back to Forum List.