League Discussion Thread II

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 15556
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
01:27 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Less complicated if you remove the choosing aspect though (even though ive used that for events in the past). Some variety of the players championship format would work. People who dont like orig wont join anyway...
adam_147
adam_147
01:27 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think having one league would work better, rather then splitting people into separate ones. But then you have the problem of what game type, which is why I said the players each choose 3 frames each

If you do that you could always make it interesting and say that each frame won on the opponent's choice counts as 2. I just think knowing you have to play 3 frames in a type you don't like would be off-putting. I would be hesitant in joining knowing half my opponents would probably pick arcade.
msl
msl
01:31 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think having one league would work better, rather then splitting people into separate ones. But then you have the problem of what game type, which is why I said the players each choose 3 frames each

If you do that you could always make it interesting and say that each frame won on the opponent's choice counts as 2. I just think knowing you have to play 3 frames in a type you don't like would be off-putting. I would be hesitant in joining knowing half my opponents would probably pick arcade.

But if you do the 2x Arc, Reg, Orig, you have to play arc twice anyway?

And yeah I like the sound of your first bit
adam_147
adam_147
01:33 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
That's why I thought 2 leagues was better. The the people who don't like arcade don't have to play it and the people who don't like original don't have to play it. Look how many default wins there are in the players champs...
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
01:34 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Thats because we include everyone without asking them. Those who want to join it tend to play.
msl
msl
01:39 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Aside from what game type it is...

Is it a solo league? or maybe Doubles? (means you can do subs and limit the defaults)
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
01:41 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Runners should consider something like doubles. Increases the incentive not to quit halfway because you would be letting someone else down.
msl
msl
01:43 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
It would also half the amount of fixtures, meaning the complete time a "season" takes will be shorter. Then, if we went with the divisions, doubles would be moving up and down quicker rather then having to wait like 3 months
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:31 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i like the idea of playoff games as well

Top 2 are Promoted but the next 4 (or 2 if you choose) would play in a tournie to decide the 3rd Promotion.

Relegation is the same but fighting to stay in the division.

Not sure how it would work with 2 divisions though
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:16 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think doubles would be more inclined towards an event.

An Arcade league & an Original league would cater to the majority as pretty much every player on here can be categorised into either type (kind of the pure games in my opinion). As Adam mentioned, there is already a carom tournament. I don't think Power has enough interest as a standalone type to warrant a league.

I'd suggest something along the lines of;

Players in the competition have to be part of a clan currently in the league.

Have a premier division and then an A&B division (that will be equal, so two different groups). Bottom half of prem get relegated whilst the equivalent number in division A&B get promoted (so say 4 get relegated, top two in each division get promoted). Idea to get three leagues with a roughly equal number of participants (for scheduling) with the top ranked players from the previous season golden cue in the premier division with the rest split equally between div A & div B.

For reliability players must have participated in the previous seasons clan league to be eligible to enter.

Depending on the entrants you could run 1 or 2 seasons per clan season.

Edited at 00:21 Wed 21/05/14 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:19 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think doubles would be more inclined towards an event.

I'd suggest something along the lines of;

Players in the competition have to be part of a clan currently in the league.

Have a premier division and then an A&B division (that will be equal, so two different groups). Bottom half of prem get relegated whilst the equivalent number in division A&B get promoted (so say 4 get relegated, top two in each division get promoted). Idea to get three leagues with a roughly equal number of participants (for scheduling) with the top ranked players from the previous season golden cue in the premier division with the rest split equally between div A & div B.

For reliability players must have participated in the previous seasons clan league to be eligible to enter.

Depending on the entrants you could run 1 or 2 seasons per clan season.
I think that is a great idea.

I personally like the random distribution of players into the 3 leagues Premier / A & B and let everybody find their natural level. Players that maybe shouldnt be in the top level, fighting hard to stay there and players that should be in the top level fighting hard to get up to where they belong. That would create a great competition.

The biggest decision is what game to play it on.

I have always been in and out of clans, this idea would definitely entice me back in again!
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
20:46 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
If i had to choose a type it would be Regular as Arcade is too easy and Original can be difficult to adjust.
_nerdzz_
_nerdzz_
20:51 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I'd say it would be better to do that idea but have the format as 1 Arc, Reg & Orig.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:07 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Arcade is the most popular by far so there has to be a league for that. If anything I'd say start with an Arcade league just to see how it goes.

Original is the second most popular, Regular is a hybrid of the two.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:09 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I think that is a great idea.

I personally like the random distribution of players into the 3 leagues Premier / A & B and let everybody find their natural level. Players that maybe shouldnt be in the top level, fighting hard to stay there and players that should be in the top level fighting hard to get up to where they belong. That would create a great competition.

The biggest decision is what game to play it on.

I have always been in and out of clans, this idea would definitely entice me back in again!

Yep, that's what I meant.

Whether you do Prem, A & B with A & B as equal standing leagues or Prem, A, B in that order I'm not sure.

For the game format I'd suggest first to 5's for Arcade & first to 4's for Original, but then again it depends whether you do a point a frame or so many points for a win.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
21:55 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
You want to eventually create multiple leagues for each game type?? Why not create one of the type you have described with a mixed format? One league with two divisions feeding the top division.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:57 Wed 21 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Mixed could be doable with 2 of each of Arc, Reg & Orig (so each gets a break in both) but it just depends whether the majority would want a pure type of a mixed type.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
00:52 Thu 22 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
In my mind one competition would be taken more seriously than two or more separate things.
If we come up with something concrete (it doesnt have to be in place already by the start of next season by the way; it should take however long it needs to in order to be good), then i'll announce it as a new league or league competition, so that people take it more seriously than usual events.

Either way, theres a chance that it could fail early if we cant get around the problem of people dropping out midway. It certainly wont fail because runners stop caring though, which has been a problem of other events in the past.
msl
msl
00:59 Thu 22 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
In my mind one competition would be taken more seriously than two or more separate things.
If we come up with something concrete (it doesnt have to be in place already by the start of next season by the way; it should take however long it needs to in order to be good), then i'll announce it as a new league or league competition, so that people take it more seriously than usual events.

Either way, theres a chance that it could fail early if we cant get around the problem of people dropping out midway. It certainly wont fail because runners stop caring though, which has been a problem of other events in the past.

What if some of the points earned by the players goes towards the main league? That way people will have more of a motivation to stay in it and help their clan out
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:06 Thu 22 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
We have 2 individual competitions at the moment which seem to have become a little stale and neglected. I think involving all 3 main types will dissuade more people?

Two separate leagues could be an issue if the Players Championship & Individuals are still around so it could be worth looking at the idea of replacing one of these? That would leave 5 competitions overall so only one new event;

Main Clan League (team event)
Clan League Cup (team event)
Individual Arcade League
Individual Original League
Individual Cup (which could act as the cup competition to the individual leagues with the current format).

Always going to be players dropping out which is unavoidable. If you adopt a Prem, 1, 2 division system with the second division acting as a feeder division where players have to prove their reliability for a season you'd at least maintain two respectable leagues (based on number of entrants of course).
Pages: 15556
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

League Discussion Thread II

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.