Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 123
nick
nick
Admin
20:33 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Let's give it a week before considering reverting anything, ok?

Basically the existing games are all still present on the site, it's just tournaments have been increased in importance and ranking games reduced. In that sense it's just a rearrangement.

Tournaments have always intended to be the showpiece events on the site, before they were treated by a lot of people as a side game, or a friendly, as the response to the recent changes (today and the last few weeks) have shown.
eemad
eemad
20:34 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
It's clear nick wants ranked tournys to be the forefront of the site, and friendlies to be minimal, so friendly tournys I fail to see coming back.
budweiser
budweiser
20:35 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
i agree grae
nick
nick
Admin
20:36 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
g_k said:
Are all Tournaments ranked now ??

I have to say it is dissapointing to someone like me, who likes to enter tournaments but I don't play ranked games except the odd game of Killer. Now it appears I am forced to choose don't play tournaments or play ranked games, I don't understand why ??

It surely could have been possible to implement the "Tournapoints" without affecting rank ?

There are a lot of people bothered by rank on this site. Does it now mean if certain people are in a particular tournament hardly anyone will enter ? As from statistics it shows you would have a very hard job winning against some people who play on here who have excelled in their gameplay.

Yes, all tournaments are ranked, and TournaPoints could be implemented without having ranked tournaments, but in your case, if you don't play ranked games why are you concerned about your ranking? Ranking is just a side event.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:37 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
nick said:

Tournaments have always intended to be the showpiece events on the site, before they were treated by a lot of people as a side game, or a friendly, as the response to the recent changes (today and the last few weeks) have shown.

Yeah a lot of people just used to click join on the tournies and not show up and there be a lot of DQ's. Since the w/l stat and Abandoned stat for not showing up has came into play less people are doing this.
I like all the updates you have done to do with the rankings ect.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:38 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
Completely agree with everything Damien says.

For once
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
20:39 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
because i crash alot and its no fault of my own it kinda wants me to keep away to protect my rank points as i wouldnt want to enter orig, get black screen and lose 24 points to a 600.

If it didn't crash as much i would enter ranked ALL the time or most of the time

I agree damien this will be a new challenge to us all and we should get used to it in time the only thing i don't like is you cannot stop on 800 anymore

Edited at 18:50 Mon 22/11/10 (GMT)
budweiser
budweiser
20:45 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
at the end of the day nick does what is best for this site and trys to bring new ideas in , funkysnooker is here for fun and new challenges!

so i think all should just see rank as a friendly game and not focus too much on rank , meaning enjoy the game and not take it so serious
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
20:49 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
yeah i agree with you bud, i don't really care about rank but if you crash as much as i do then its a step down.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:56 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
nick said:
chase475 said:
TournaPoints or Tournament Points.. Which do you people prefer?

If anyone has a suggestion for a better name....

However TournaPoints is still clear what it represents and a bit less boring than just Tournament Points (which it was going to be initially).

g_echo_l said:
i just thought of a radical idea. remove rank altogether......

Quite a good idea, but rather than removing it, just making it a bit less prominent is an option.

Could call it TournaMint..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:01 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
jeez weve been calling for ranked tournaments for a while now he brings them in plus a nice little points system for it and you complain about the ranked tornies you asked for!

jeez what happened to think before you post

get you heads sorted before you ask for anything else
g_k
g_k
nick said:

Yes, all tournaments are ranked, and TournaPoints could be implemented without having ranked tournaments, but in your case, if you don't play ranked games why are you concerned about your ranking? Ranking is just a side event.

In answer to your question:
Because it means I can't enter tournaments, which I enjoy, as I will undoubtly loose the few points I have and a lot of people set limits on who can join their games (even friendlies). So it also has the affect of limiting what games I can Join. And as for your assertion that "Ranking is just a side event" I believe this to be wrong, I think the majority of people on this site are rank driven, after all it is targets to achieve.

I fully agree with you that tournaments should be the showcase of the site and the Tournapoints I have no issue with but by making them ranked I believe you are limiting access to many people.
spinner
spinner
Admin
dgeneratio said:
I agree damien this will be a new challenge to us all and we should get used to it in time the only thing i don't like is you cannot stop on 800 anymore

Do remember the reduction doesn't go on forever, it's just based on your max in that discipline so if you stop playing it is more reflective of your ability.

Under the old system, if both myself and magical_cue were to stop playing ranked arcade for a few months, we would both end up on the same rank of 800. Despite the fact that at my best I only reached 846, yet he made 985! Not exactly fair or reflective.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:04 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
think 950 is pretty high though maybe drop it to virtuoso
nick
nick
Admin
21:18 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
g_k said:
In answer to your question:
Because it means I can't enter tournaments, which I enjoy, as I will undoubtly loose the few points I have and a lot of people set limits on who can join their games (even friendlies). So it also has the affect of limiting what games I can Join.

Hmmm, I see, that is an quite an interesting scenario. I hadn't thought about people setting restrictive limits on their games, but maybe highest ranking could be used to meet their criteria (this can be discussed in a different thread if necessary).

g_k said:
And as for your assertion that "Ranking is just a side event" I believe this to be wrong, I think the majority of people on this site are rank driven, after all it is targets to achieve.

I meant in sports in general, certainly people treat it as a main event on funkypool/snooker. I'm trying to rearrange this a bit.
spinner
spinner
Admin
21:23 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
A simple fix would seem to be to remove the ability to filter who can join a friendly game by rank.

It should be irrelevant after all.

And if joining a ranked game, it is only fair to all that the players rank be a truer reflection of their ability, which is something the new system will help achieve.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
21:33 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
virt_slayer said:
jeez weve been calling for ranked tournaments for a while now he brings them in plus a nice little points system for it and you complain about the ranked tornies you asked for!

jeez what happened to think before you post

get you heads sorted before you ask for anything else

im not complaining mate, im all for ranked tournaments, but crashing puts me down from playing in them.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:38 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
not you dgen shhhh
greatest
greatest
21:53 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
why not keep things simple?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:56 Mon 22 Nov 10 (GMT)  [Link]  
like your mind?